A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 6 January 2021

A Vintage Owl

I'm honoured to be the January Guest Designer over at Day of the Month Card Club Challenge.  The theme is "National Bird Day".  I used a brand new stamp and made a Christmas card with it.

I stamped the owl in my MISTI, using Distress ... on watercolour paper, then used a wet paintbrush to drag some of the colour out of the stamping.  I used a dark red marker on the berries and stamped the sentiment in dark red.  Some sponging and splattering around the edge of the panel gave it a vintage look.  I matted with dark red cs and popped it up on fun foam on a rustic cs card base.

Please come and join us at The Day of the Month Card Club Challenge.  The only requirement is to use the theme of National Bird Day and link up your card by January 31st.







Supplies:
Stamps - Crafty Individuals, Rubber Soul sentiment
Ink - Memento Rhubarb Stalk;  Distress Oxide Antique Linen and
Paper - watercolour paper, dark red cs, rustic cream cs
Size - A2
Accessories - dark red marker, fun foam


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful owl Susan, great idea using it as a Christmas card :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning Owl and I love how you've watercoloured it with the stamping and dragging out some of the ink. A real eye catching and amazing card x.
    Many congratulations on guesting Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous owl Susan! I LOVE how you've used the outline colours to wash over him. Fabulous! Beautiful design. Congrats on being GD at DOTM Card Club! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on GD. What a great owl. Beautiful job pulling the colours out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your Guest Designer spot, Susan! Love this owl and how you've colored him! The narrow red mat and sentiment are a wonderful contrast! I heard an owl in our backyard late this afternoon. Wish I could have spotted him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m a fan of non-traditional Christmas images and this one works perfectly! Love the painting you did on him too. You have the most fascinating stamps. Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your vintage owl design, Susan. You achieved wonderful depth and interest on your owl with your chosen colors and added sponging and splatters. Adding just a bit of dark red for contrast was perfect. TFS and Congratulations for being chosen the Guest Design. Love and Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your Guest Designer spot, Susan! Love the handsome owl and your beautiful watercoloring! The sponging and splattering are so effective to give the panel a vintage-look.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used one of Maria Kitano's drawings for Crafty Individuals this week too! I don't have this one but he's lovely and makes a beautiful Christmas card, great job on this Susan!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.