A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 19 January 2021

Three Shades of Blue

Those of you who know me well know that blue is definitely my favourite colour.  Here are some gorgeous shades of blue:




I created an alcohol ink background on Yupo and let it dry. I then placed the wildflower stencil over top and using a small sponge dauber, dipped into blending solution, blotted off the excess blending solution, and then pounced the dauber over the stencil to remove colour. Make sure all areas are done before removing stencil. I didn't get a very good impression of the stenciled flowers so replaced the cleaned and dried stencil and went around the openings in the stencil with a fine blue marker to give them definition.

I did a heat embossed sentiment on a scrap of vellum, die cut a wildflower out of a scrap of cs, wrapped the vellum around the panel, and bordered in a leftover bit of navy cs before adding it to a white card base.

Off it goes to these challenges:

Just Us Girls "Three Shades of Blue Colour Challenge"

AAA Birthday "A Stencil Background"
 

Pixie's Snippets Playground Challenge #394 

  







Supplies:
Stamps - SU sentiment
Ink - ColorBox white
Paper - white and navy cs, vellum, Yupo
Size - A2
Accessories - white embossing powder, blue fine line marker, various blue alcohol inks, alcohol ink blending solution, Tim Holtz wildflower stencil and die

16 comments:

  1. great AI background and silhouette flowers Susan, it's been a long time since I've pulled out my Yupo and AI's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Gorgeous blues alcohol ink background for your stenciled alcohol lifted wildflower images, Susan. Love your die cut white wildflower, black border and heat embossed stamped sentiment on vellum too. TFS my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at BLUE! Gorgeous AI background setting the stage for the wildflower silhouettes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very beautiful! I love the ethereal blue background, the perfect way to show off that lovely silhouette and sentiment.
    Jane
    Guest Designer at the Playground

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Susan, what a stunner of a card. I adore the vibrant blue you used and such a great design as well. Reminded me to get my alcohol inks out and have a play!

    Oh yes, it would be wonderful to have you as a Guest Designer please! My email address is di_wray@hotmail.com. If you drop me an email we can fix up when!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SO creative! That background is amazing and could stand alone with a sentiment. I stared at it for quite a while. Love that rich color of blue too. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at blue! My favorite color too. This is so pretty and lots of interesting techniques you used on this card. It all works together so well and I like the added white flower on top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic background! Love what you did great technique. Thanks so much for playing along with Just Us Girls this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a work of art, Susan! Love the shades of blue and the way the silhouette mimic the background! A very special card, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your amazing blue background and a great finish with the pop of white Sue. Thanks for joining us at Just Us Girls this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a fab technique and I love the artsy look of your background. Thanks for playing at AAA Birthday, hope to see you join in with future challenges too. Stay safe and keep crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful card Susan! Removing some of the colour through the stencil is such a great technique. Adding that outline brings the eye to your background flowers. Great design, awesome techniques!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mixed media and fabulous and loving those shades of blues. Thank you for explaining how you did it Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous alcohol ink background with the pretty wildflower silhouettes, Susan! Love the gorgeous shades of blue!! Outlining the opening the silhouettes definitely gave them definition. The vellum sentiment strip is a really nice touch, not obstructing the beautiful background.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. It happens that blue is also my favorite color so this card is pure eye candy for me!! Love the artsy look of this card and the stenciled flowers have such a fun, loose look. Thank you for joining us at AAA Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. inspiring technique and a beautiful card. Thank you for joining us at AAA birthday! Hope to see you join again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.