A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 11 January 2021

Twofer Snowdrops

I don't very often do my friend, Darnell's Twofer Challenge as my brain doesn't seem to want to come up with two very different designs for two different occasions using the same stamp at the same time.  But this month it is "Flowers" and, while I was making a belated birthday card for a friend yesterday, my brain decided that it did have an idea for using the same stamp differently.  Here are the two cards:


The one on the left is a card to celebrate spring, the one on the right is the belated birthday card (people really shouldn't have birthdays in early January - it's just too darn close to Christmas!).

I made the birthday one first:


It's for a friend who loves birds and is a keen gardener.  Last year she asked me to split up some of my clumps of snowdrops so that she could get them growing in her garden so this seems the perfect image for her January birthday - my snowdrops are already poking their heads up in my garden.

Very simple to make - stamped, watercoloured, trimmed, bordered with green shimmer cs to match the snowdrop leaves, and embellished with some glitter on the snowy bits of the image.

The Twofer uses just the snowdrops part of the stamp:


For this one, I restamped part of the image and watercoloured, then die cut it into a circle, and die cut a circular frame from the same cs as the rest of the card.  I stencilled the background leaves in two shades of green Distress Oxide ink and stamped a definition of spring over it.  And added glitter to the snowy bits of the image.

Thank you, Darnell, for getting my brain to come up with a Twofer this month by giving it a theme that it likes!!!

Twofer Card Challenge "Flowers"   

   
  

I'm also adding it to Seize the Birthday "Snowy Background".

 







Supplies:
Stamps - Penny Black robin and snowdrops stamp, SU birthday sentiment, Purple Onion spring stamp
Ink - Archival Jet Black, Distress Oxide Bundled Sage and Evergreen Bough, Memento London Fog
Paper - watercolour paper, white cs, cream cs, green shimmer cs
Size - A2
Accessories - watercolour paints, glitter, Spellbinders circle dies, Dina Wakely leaf stencil


13 comments:

  1. Two beautiful and very different snowdrop cards, Susan. Your friend will LOVE her birthday card so beautifully colored. Hopefully her snowdrops are popping up too. Love your 2nd card with the stenciling and definition of spring behind the pretty snowdrop image. TFS Love and Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two very beautiful snowdrop cards Susan. I LOVE the winter one ... wonderful watercolouring to bring this to life! Love the beautiful spring card with the text stamped background and beautiful brigth green stenciled leaves. The snowdrop fits perfectly in the circle frame. Great work, my friend! Love, Loll

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cards, Susan. Love that Penny Black stamp and the wonderful way you colored it. You did a fabulous job on the snow drop card with your arty background. Two really great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you nailed it this time. Two terrific twofers for two different occasions with different designs. Beautiful watercoloring and stencilling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a creative use of the same snowdrop stamp Susan x. Both cards are beautiful, with wonderful colouring and the stencilling on the second one is extra special x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these little snowdrops peeking out from the snow, Susan! The sparkle of the snow around the bird makes a chilly scene and sounds perfect for your friend. Love the way you've framed the flowers in the springtime card with the fantastic background stamp and stenciling! Great job of coming up with two different designs! So good to see you in the gallery at The Twofer Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. both are gorgeous mf....they speak to me with the promise of Spring.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to see you in the gallery with these two beauties, Susan! Snowdrops always remind me of the promise that Spring is coming. I would bet that your friend absolutely loved this birthday card; I know I do! I stared at it for the longest time, taking in every detail - it's pure delight! The touches of glitter, your coloring, and that sweet shimmery paper work together perfectly. Your Springtime card speaks volumes to my love for things more CAS. It, too, is a delight. Thank you so much for joining us at The Twofer Challenge. Stay safe. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just love both cards featuring the snowdrops, Susan!! That little birdie looks so sweet with the snowdrops and I love the ones you put in the circle frame!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These really do make a very good twofer, well done for getting the idea. That is the trick with twofers and too often the idea just doesn't come. It is such a nice feeling when it does. I love that stencil background on the Spring card and the Robin on your birthday card. I am with you on January birthdays xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both snowdrop cards are fabulous, Susan! Actually, both cards look so different that I had to look for the same item you used. The first one is beautifully watercolored, and the shiny border is perfect for the celebration.
    I LOVE the background of the second card as much as the pretty snowdrops in the circle frame! What a wonderful idea to combine stenciling and stamping!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. great way to create two different looks with one stamp Susan, a perfect Twofer. I've always loved that stamp :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, stop it, Susan! I am not buying that your brain can't rock the TCC concept (like you've done here) with any kind of prompt, but I'm delighted that flowers are your jam and you created two fantastic snowdrop designs! The entire stamp is beautifully drawn and you brought it to life with your professional watercolor painting for your first design. And I love how you used just the snowdrops in the circle for your second design, over an awesome text and blended stencil background. Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #34! Take care and keep safe! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.