A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 28 July 2023

Embossing Folder Colouring

For the new Group of Seven technique post we tried three methods of colouring panels after they were embossed in a 3D embossing folder.

We tried three different methods.  For this one, I ran white cs through in the embossing folder and then used the ink pad swipe method seen in this video.  I swiped two different shades of red Distress inks over the top of the embossing.  

I trimmed the panel, bordered it with gold matte mirror cs, die cut "merry" from the same cs twice, gluing them together for more dimension, added it to the top of the poinsettias, and stamped and trimmed "Christmas" on white cs and added it below the "merry".

It's hard to photograph anything with mirror cs so here's another view of it:


I was able to make a second card from the same panel.  
I had enough left to just fit behind the SSS Holiday Frame so made this CAS card with it:

I cut the Holiday Frame once from the matte gold mirror cs and once from white cs, took the gold letters out of "Christmas", and glued them together so that the white would show through.

I then tried one of the other methods for my next card - sponging with pigment inks over the embossing as seen in this video.


I used blending brushes and three shades of pink pigment inks, leaving some bits white for contrast and shading.

I die cut the sentiment three times and glued them together so that it would stand out.

For the third technique, and for many more examples, go to our Group of Seven page.  You're welcome to try one of the techniques and add your card for inspiration to others but we are not a challenge so will not be selecting winners or commenting on all cards.

I'll be posting a card using the third technique soon.








Supplies for card 1 and 2:
Stamps - unknown Christmas (card 1)
Ink - Distress Festive Berries and Candied Apple
Paper - white cs, matte gold mirror cs
Size - card 1 is A2, card 2 is 4.5" square
Accessories - Nellie's Choice slimline poinsettia embossing folder, PTI "merry" die (card 1), SSS Holiday Frame (card 2)

Supplies for card 3:
Ink - Adirondack Pink Sherbert and Shell Pink, Vivid Tea Rose
Paper - white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Nellie's Choice slimline poinsettia embossing folder, Penny Black sentiment die

9 comments:

  1. It's always great getting more than one card out of a background :). All three cards are beautiful, I think my favourite is the soft shades of pink, they make the poinsettia look so pretty ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards Susan!! I LOVE that poinsettia folder with the deep red ink swiped over top. Perfect paired with gold. Always great when you can get more than one card out of a panel! Your softly sponged pink poinsettias are gorgeous. I love the softness of the colours. Great work, sweet friend. Love, Lolly

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so pretty, Susan! I love both the bright red and the soft pinks using two of the methods, but the red with the gold really grabs me! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! All 3 of your Christmas cards are so beautiful and unique..I can't possibly choose a favorite, Susan. TFS all the details.. I think the beautiful poinsettia EB Folder is a must have..can you share where you ordered it? I loved the gold accents on your 1st two cards and the softness of the pink blending on your 3rd poinsettia card with the stacked sentiment. TFS my friend...Love and Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. These knocked my off my feet! I love the bright red swiping on the poinsettia folder. It made the most beautiful panel and great you got two cards from it. Framing them in gold is awesome. The soft pink looks gorgeous on the folder. Two different looks by using different colors and techniques. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made three awesome cards, Susan! Love the red on the white embossed card! How nice to get two cards from that piece! The third card is elegant with the softer colors and the perfect die cut sentiment for it! I'm looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A trio of pretty poinsettia cards. My favourite is the third card with pink soft sponging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've created three beautiful Christmas cards, Susan! It's wonderful that you were able to make two cards from that single piece. The color combo of mirror gold and red is festive and striking. The third card with the softer colors is so pretty and I love the dimension of the die-cut sentiment. I can't wait to see your card using the third technique!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What brilliant examples of these different ways of colouring embossing folders Susan, and I love all three, from the striking look of the first with a strong red, then the pretty gold sentiment frame around part of it, and lastly the softer look with a very lovely pink ink..all gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.