A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 13 January 2023

Two Colour Challenges

Colour challenges are an iffy thing for me.  I only do them if a) I like the particular colour combination and b) something comes to mind right away.  I don't like agonizing over how to use certain colours.  So for me to do two colour challenges in the same week is very rare!!

 First up The Color Throwdown "Red, Green, and Brown".  That definitely inspires me as I immediately thought of a Christmas swag with berries.


I had the die cut star sitting on my desk but it was just white so I smooshed it into a puddle of various brown Distress inks. I was really happy with the rustic look it ended up with.  

I also had a scrap of green smooshed cs sitting on my desk that was perfect for die cutting the greenery pieces.  The berry branch is cut from a scrap of dark brown cs.

Glued it all onto a white card base and added a sentiment, stick-on pearls for the berries, and a tiny bow.

The second card is for Colorful Options "Basic Black".  I went with Christmas again, thinking it would be good for a masculine card. 

I die cut the sentiment out of a panel of black shimmer cs and layered the panel over a white card base.  Then die cut the Memory Box Countryside Circle die out of white cs and then die cut it with a stitched semicircle die.  That gave it a nice straight bottom edge to sit on top of the Let It Snow sentiment.  Added a few die cut snowflakes and it was done.

The Color Throwdown "Red, Green, Brown"



Colorful Options "Basic Black"









Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Penny Black sentiment
Ink - SU Real Red, various Distress browns and greens
Paper - white and brown cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - Spellbinders star dies, TH greenery dies, red pearls, red metallic twine

Supplies for card 2:
Paper - black shimmer cs, white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Memory Box Countryside Circle die, Memory Box Let It Snow die, various small snowflake dies, cross-stitched semi-circle die


10 comments:

  1. Both cards are beautiful Susan, love your vintagey star, the mottled rustic edge is perfect. Great masculine night card xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful masculine Christmas card. The black shimmer paper looks great matted with the white. Thanks for sharing at the Colorful Options January Color Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your rustic star with the greenery and berries! So festive and beautiful! The glimmery black paper makes a perfect night sky for your die cut scene! Your Christmas stash is growing beautifully, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two fabulous cards Susan. Your star looks like rusty metal ... LOVE IT! So pretty with the pine swag. And your black and white card is a perfect masculine Christmas card. I think we are all trying to make more Christmas cards throughout the year this year. So many of us were caught short last year. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two fabulous cards Susan... oh I'm writing the same as Loll...they are wonderful, I especially love the first Star one.. Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous takes on the colour challenges! Love the rustic look of your first card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both cards are wonderful, Susan! The brown smooshed star die-cut is perfect for the beautiful Christmas swag with berries! I would love this kind of ornament!
    The black and white snowy scene is an awesome masculine card! The shimmer is so beautiful (even in the picture)!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous! I love the shimmer on the black cardstock. Thanks for sharing at Colorful Options. :)

    Sara Lihz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cards! I really love the rustic star with the berry branch!! Thanks so much for joining us at the Color Throwdown!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic cards! I love your Christmas in January inspired cards. CAS done in style. Thank you for sharing with us at the Colorful Options Challenge. Good luck! Cheers, Makira

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.