A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 28 January 2023

Group of Seven Cardmakers - Creative Heat Embossing

Throughout Covid, I've been meeting monthly with a group of crafty friends on Zoom to try out new techniques, revisit older techniques, as well as to discuss art products we might not have used before, or that we have but don't remember what to do with them.

We decided to share our experiences on a blog and that blog is called:


This is our Group of Seven:


This month we are trying out a technique Loll discovered on another blog: the Creative Heat Embossed Backgrounds technique.  Detailed instructions are over on the Group of Seven post.
 
Here is my card and I have to preface this by saying that I'm not totally happy with it.
 

I applied Versamark ink randomly to navy blue cs and then sprinkled randomly with white glitter and silver glitter embossing powder.  Then heat set it.  I die cut a circle from my results, then layered that on a silver mirror cs circle, and topped it with a snowflake die cut from the same silver mirror cs (and die cut twice more from scrap white cs to glue together to give more dimension to the snowflake).

I will probably try some of the other options our Group of Seven cardmakers used - Bonnie's second technique of splattering with water and heat embossing the powder on top of the water (who knew that would work?) and Loll's second technique of heating the embossing powder on a griddle.  I really like the results they got with those techniques.  As for the technique I used here of random swiping with Versamark, I probably won't chose to use it.
 







Supplies:
Ink - Versamark
Paper - white and navy cs, silver mirror cs
Size - 4.25" square
Accessories - snowflake die, circle dies, Stampendous Silver Tinsel and Judikins White Diamond embossing powders

12 comments:

  1. I really like your card Susan. I know that the shimmer and shine from the metallic embossing on dark blue is amazing! So pretty with the snowflake die-cut. I too ended up with some "heavier embossed than I wanted" background. I found that using a scrunched piece of clingwrap with versamark worked well for me, but I needed to pounce it onto paper towel to distribute the ink and also remove some of it on the paper towel so it left lighter impressions on my background. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, just step back and look at it again Susan! I LOVE this background on the navy and cut in a circle - and that snowflake die cut is gorgeous! a beautiful card using the technique! and there are also so many other variations we can try! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning colour combo with the Navy card and the silver embossing and die cut- Love the card ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Julia, Susan. It certainly is a stunning card on my monitor! Is it some kind of weird thing where the card looks better online than in real life, opposite of what normally happens? I don't think so. I think you're being too hard on the poor pretty card. Now I need to go find a sweater because you really captured the iciness of winter with the silver e/p and your snowflake! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why you don't like this, Susan. I think it's stunning and perfect for this gorgeous silver snowflake! A gorgeous card, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the navy and silver and white for your background and it just sparkles. The silver snowflake compliments it nicely on the silver circle. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful background to your pretty silver snowflake Susan, and love the white and silver glittery embossing powder you used also perfect matted on more silver, and stands out beautifully on the white card..so elegant! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, so gorgeous!! Love the navy and silver with the gorgeous snowflake, so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your snowflake card is stunning, Susan! The background heat-embossing turned out to be just like falling snow and the randomness of the embossed shapes is so interesting! The sparkle of the white diamond embossing powder and the shine of the silver foil snowflake and window frame are awesome!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool and striking! Great colour combo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great technique that I had to try. Love your card Susan and I think it looks great. I like the layered snowflake over your background. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Love your swiped with Versamark and then heat embossing, which left a very artsy beautiful background for your stunning die cut snowflake, Susan. Loved your circle die framing and square format too. I used scrunched cling wrap and lightly pounced the ink onto white cardstock and then heat embossed with Distress EB Glaze and was real happy with the result. I still hope to make another card, but would like to try Hideko's technique using a toothbrush to apply the Versamark on colored CS and then heat emboss. So many beautiful creative cards by the Group of Seven:-) TFS your beauty...Love and Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.