A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 13 June 2021

Blue Birds Chirping in Birch Trees

This card came together after playing around with inks and stencils.


I made a mixed media background with oxide and regular Distress inks, smooshing and spritzing with water, then adding a couple of stencils and a couple of stamps.

I die cut the birds and birch trees twice, watercoloured the birds dark blue, added a bit of watercoloured shading to the trees, and layered the two layers together to add dimension.

Instead of a sentiment, I used a Tim Holtz clippings sticker.

It's for the Color Throwdown Challenge:




And for CAS Mix Up (watercolouring with anything that flies):

 

 







Supplies:
Stamps - various mixed media stamps
Ink - various blue and grey Distress and Distress Oxide inks
Paper - mixed media cs, white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - TCW stencils, Tim Holtz sentiment sticker, birch and bird dies

11 comments:

  1. How I love that background and enjoy doing those but haven't done them in a while. Great choice of dies for a perfect composition. I may just have a background day after seeing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely card, Susan. The background is so pretty and those blue birds really catch the eye first thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really LOVE your background!! Thanks for playing along with us at the Color Throwdown this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful mixed media background, I love all your stencil layering ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your artsy mixed media watercolored stenciled blue background, Susan for your sweet blue birds in the birch trees. TFS my friend. Love and Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderfully mixed media with a fabulous background and those birch trees and the blue birds look amazing. A fabulous card Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A stunning artsy background Susan for those trees and your lovely blue birds. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this mixed media card Susan. Gorgeous and arsty background to show off the beautiful birch trees and birds. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome background, Susan! It's perfect for your shaded trees and pretty blue jays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous mixed media background, Susan! I love the colors and visual texture! The way you colored the birch trees is wonderful and the dark blue birds beautifully pop in the forest.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous mixed media card ...... love those cute little birds! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.