A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 13 February 2021

A Valentine

It's Valentine's Day and I'd like to send virtual hugs and love to my followers - I really appreciate all your comments and support.   

A friend always asks me to make her a few Valentine cards every year, and she always wants one with a bird on it.


I created a background panel by sprinkling pink Magicals on mixed media cs and spritzing with water.  When it was dry, I inked up a script stamp with red ink and dabbed off bits of ink so that there would be random coverage of the script.

I set it behind a panel with a die cut heart in the middle of it.  I added a sentiment to the panel and also a small die cut heart (to cover up a smudge of ink that wouldn't come off).

For the bird, I placed a scrap of watercolour paper in my MISTI, inked up the bird stamp with
markers and spritzed lightly with water before stamping.  I then die cut the bird and set it on the edge of the heart aperture with its feet glued down and its head and shoulders popped up with foam tape.

Taking it to the following challenges:

The Color Throwdown - pink, red, black, and white

 

Double D Challenge - Valentine Love 

Day of the Month Card Club - Valentine's Day 

 

Here's hoping you all have either beautiful flowers or delicious chocolates to celebrate the day!

 







Supplies:
Stamps - SU Best Birds, SU sentiment, Wendy Vecchi script stamp
Ink - SU Real Red
Paper - white and black cs, mixed media cs, watercolour paper
Size - 5" square
Accessories - pink Magicals, large and very small heart dies, SU matching bird die

11 comments:

  1. The pretty pink magical heart looks fabulous behind that adorable little bird. Loving the extra little cute heart....Lol x. Sending love and hugs to you too Susan and Happy Valentine's day x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous design ... love it! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘Valentine LOVE’ challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.
    Darlene
    DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Please stop in for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful card for your friend. I love the die cut heart with script in the background. That bird is a fabulous stamp and since I’m fond of bird stamps you can bet I’ll hunt that set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your smudge was a happy accident as the little heart adds a whimsical look to this card, Susan! Love the bird and the scripted pink heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun technique for the heart...not familiar with magical, will have to check that out!! So happy you joined us at CTD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card Susan. I LOVE the shades of pink magicals that must shimmer like crazy. And so pretty with the red script stamping on top. The little heart on the side is so sweet ... happy accident, I'd say! :) Lovely bird to finish your design. Happy Valentine's Day to you, dear friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love what you have done with that heart, and of course you can't go wrong with a bird on a card. This is lovely! Great take on the Mood Board, thanks so much for playing along with us over at the Double D Challenge. Hope we see you back again soon!!
    Judy~ DD DT
    {Judy's Happy Place} Stop by and see me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smudges make us more creative, your little extra heart is perfect. Beautiful Valentines card and love the addition of the script as a background for the hearts :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your card is amazing. Like the design of the background and the sweet bird! Glad you joined us at DotMCC. Gundi

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a pretty Valentine card, Susan! I love the Magicals background with script stamping, and the watercolor look of the cute bird!
    The bird is perching on the perfect spot, and the Magicals shimmer must be so beautiful in real life.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful card, I love the bird in the pink heart.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.