A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 15 February 2021

A Cat and a Dog

Time to remind you to enter the CAS Christmas February challenge "Dogs and / or Cats".

I started by stamping my image on hot press watercolour paper.  I left it uncoloured as I wanted to try following this video by Nina Marie for the sky, though I used snowflakes instead of her circles, and I didn't keep my colours as distinct as she did.  And no point going to the trouble of colouring the image if the sky didn't work out!

I sponged a few shades of blue Distress Oxide inks across the top and down close to the image, then stencilled some snowflakes using the same inks.  I liked the end result except for where my stencil moved a bit and I ended up with blobby snowflakes but they were easily disguised by putting a die cut sentiment on top of them!   I went ahead and watercoloured the image, after deciding to keep it in tones of blues and greys.  

Because it's for our CAS challenge, I needed to have more white space than using an A2 card base would allow so used a larger size card base.  Popped it up on fun foam, and die cut the sentiment out of a dull silver cs and glued a white die cut behind the silver to give it more dimension.

I liked the technique so much that I redid it using the same image and taking more care not to let the stencil shift.  This time I used different shades of blue for the sky and a different colour scheme for the image.

 
I didn't need to have the white space for this card so put it on a smaller card base (but a smidge wider than an A2 - to fit a UK envelope) with a simple stamped sentiment and fun foam behind the image for dimension.
 
Which colour scheme do you prefer?
 
If you want to join us at CAS Christmas, be sure to link up by February 24th.  
 
 
 
And because the stamp is a new one that I haven't inked up before, I'm linking one of the cards up with Darnell's NBUS challenge.


And it's a Penny Black stamp, so off it goes to the Penny Black February Saturday Challenge "Anything Goes".

And the Christmas Cards All Year Round "Something that starts with C and / or D" - in my case, "cat and dog".








Supplies:
Stamps - Penny Black "Christmas Joy", Rubber Soul sentiment
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne, various blue Distress Oxide inks
Paper - hot press watercolour paper, white cs, scrap of dull silver cs
Size - 7.25x5" for first card, 6.25x4.25" for second card
Accessories - Carta Bella "Falling Snowflakes" stencil, Tim Holtz "be merry" die, watercolour paints, fun foam

16 comments:

  1. Both versions look fabulous Susan and I love how you did the sky and those pretty snowflakes. Extra loving the first one and the greys and blues and of course how you disguised the snowflake with the sentiment ....Adorable cards, both of them x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are just so adorable. Thanks for the great challenge, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both versions and can't pick a favorite Susan! The image itself is just ADORABLE and looks great in both the blue shades and also the more colorful version! And the sky in both looks amazing....love the look of the stenciled snowflakes over the blended sky! Cute, CUTE cards Susan and thanks for such a FUN challenge this month!! Hugs. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two lovely cards using this fun stenciling and sponging technique Susan! Your image is so sweet with both a cat and dog! It looks like they are enjoying the snowfall! A great challenge this month! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love both cards. How fun to use both a cat and dog image. "Need" that one, tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is your background on both images that captivated me. I giggled a bit when I read your description because if you had not described the bloopers I would never have seen them and still can't. I see nothing wrong with that first one at all. I love both versions of this image. You did a fabulous job coloring them and I really love the cool effect of the first one without as much color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you hadn't mentioned the stencil shift I would have never noticed. I do like the cold blue of the first, but still looks amazing with a pop of colour :)
    great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are both so fun and festive, Susan, and I like how you adjusted your design to fit the size and CASishness you needed. I like the second one a smidge better because the darker sky against the snow makes it look like the snow is just whirling and whipping around them as they are gleefully sledding like mad to deliver their presents! I didn't see your card at NBUS, but thank you in advance for sharing with everyone there! Keep safe, my friend. It was great seeing you for this session! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun stamp and by just changing the color scheme look very different! I love them both! Love the way your stenciled background turned out! You've inspired me to try that technique again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is no way to choose between them since I really like both. The blue and gray makes it look like a cold winter day. The colored image shows more excitement about getting the gifts delivered. They both tell a story and both are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't pick a favourite Susan. Both cards are so adorable! LOVE your snowflake sky and, of course, that adorable image from penny black. Your colours on the image are perfect for both backgrounds. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a darling stamp set, Susan...both cards are really fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a sweet card! I love those little cuties dashing through the snow. Thanks so much for playing at PBSC!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So adorable! Both versions look great to me. The background sky looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both cards are so adorable, Susan! The stenciled snowflakes and the sponged backgrounds are fabulous, and the dog & cat images with your coloring are super cute!!
    Thanks again for hosting the fun challenge this month!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susan, thank you for the challenge, first off, then I think this is such a sweet image, and in answer to your question, I think I am drawn to the second one, just because I love the colors brighter and they make your image pop a bit more, but both cards are sweet and now you have TWO for next Christmas, you scored either way!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.