A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 23 May 2020

Layered Stencils

I'm very last minute for the CAS Stencil "Layered Stenciling" challenge!


Christine and I did some physically distanced crafting on Wednesday and she helped me with two new techniques - stenciling with a gelli plate and creating a brayered background, both techniques using Fresco Chalk paints - I like them much better than standard acrylic paints.

First up the stenciled one, using the colours from the Color Throwdown Challenge:




 
I brayered yellow Fresco Chalk paint onto a gelli plate, laid the swirly flower stencil over it, then pressed copy paper over top, picking up the yellow paint.  I then laid a text stencil over it and sponged with grey Distress ink.

I added it to cs using a sheet of double sided tape, then trimmed it, and bordered with a thin grey border.  I added it to white shimmer card base.

I die cut the flower spray die twice from white cs and once from the white shimmer cs I used for the card base.  I glued the three together with the shimmer layer on top.  Then added a sentiment stamped in grey on the white shimmer cs and trimmed.  And for embellishment, two yellow pearl gemstones on the two largest flowers.


Then I used the technique seen in this video for the background piece in this card:
Using a brayer and a few shades of blue Fresco Chalk paint, I rolled (with a flicking random motion) the colours one at a time on mixed media cs.  I then sponged white paint over a snowflake stencil.  Once it was dry, I stencilled the word Peace over it with Distress Black Soot ink.

I trimmed the panel, added a very thin black cs border, and finished off the sentiment by stamping "on earth" from a TH "peace on earth" sentiment onto black cs and heat embossing it in white.


Love these two techniques, especially the second one.  Thank you, Christine, for all the help with the techniques!








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Judith sentiment
Ink - Distress Hickory Smoke
Paper - white copy paper, white and grey cs, white shimmer cs
Size - A2
Accessories - TCW Believe Script and Swirly Garden stencils, PaperArtsy Butter Fresco Chalk paint, Memory Box Honeyblossom Sprig die, yellow pearl gemstones,

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Tim Holtz
Ink - Distress Black Soot, ColorBox Frost White
Paper - mixed media cs, white linen and black cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Red Lead peace stencil, snowflake stencil, white and various blue PaperArtsy Fresco Chalk paints, white embossing powder


13 comments:

  1. I love the cards you made out of the backgrounds. The yellow and grey is gorgeous, such a great colour combo, well done with the stencilling on the blue, it's always hard putting white on a colour background. Lucky my table is just long enough for us both to sit and craft :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your layered stenciling is amazing, Susan! Love it as a background for that pretty die cut! Love your snowflake card! The brayered background shows those pretty snowflakes perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous background and I love that white die cut you used! So glad you were able to play along with us at Color Throwdown!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great layered stencil background. You gotta love the gelli plate, must use it more often. Thanks for joining us at CAS stencil this month xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me again, just twigged that your snowflake card is also layered stencils, although of course I had read it it somehow didn't register! More haste less speed as they say! I am always amazed by how versatile stencils are, what a great Christmas card xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun cards! Sounds like interesting techniques! So happy you joined us at CTD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun to be able to craft together and keep your distance:-) TFS your 2 gorgeous stenciled cards, Susan. Your layered backgrounds are stunning!!! Love to you and Christine. We are home now and lots to do inside and out, but so nice to have a break. Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful technique and always good to craft with friends, even at a distance x. Both cards look amazing and especially loving the first one x.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That must have been so much fun to craft with Christine and to try a new technique! Both cards are fabulous, Susan! I love the combination of the yellow gelli print and the stenciled gray text. The die-cut flower spray looks so fresh.
    The blue background for the second card is so beautiful. I'd love to try the brayer flicking technique. Thank you for sharing the video link! The stenciled snowflakes and the sentiment create a soft powdery snow feeling.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you are both getting together to craft and staying safe. This double stenciling is a wonderful challenge and you sure made beautiful cards. I love that yellow and gray and the snowflakes look so pretty on the blue background.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are fantastic. Amazing results for your gelli plate print. No surprise I love your snowflake card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two more gorgeous cards from your desk. Love them both.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two beautiful cards using your geli plate Susan! I really must play with mine more! Thanks for all the details on how you made them! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.