A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 7 May 2020

Inspired by TV and a Silhouette

Catching up with some challenges!

AAA Cards wants one image and something inspired by TV.
 

I recently watched a great TV series, His Dark Materials, based on one of my favourite young adult fantasy novels.  In the book, there is a bear who helps Lyra, the main character.  Here's a photo from the TV show:



I got out my old SU stamp of the bear with the children riding on his back:


I coloured the stamped image with coloured pencils, trimmed with a stitched rectangle die, popped up on fun foam, and added glitter to the snow line and the brims of the hats.


And then Addicted to CAS wants a "Silhouette".



I needed a sympathy card and I prefer them to be very simple so a silhouette is ideal.


I masked a rectangle on some coated cs and brayered with Frayed Burlap ink. I flicked some water on it with my fingers and got one very big wet droplet that lifted all the colour where it landed and a few other nicer splats.

Then I stamped a silhouette of wildflowers and grass with Staz-On ink. I trimmed the panel down, leaving a narrow white border, and popped it up on the card base with fun foam.

I hope everyone is staying well and happy.








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - SU Bearing Gifts
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper - white and red cs
Size - A2
Accessories - coloured pencils, Lil Inker stitched rectangle, glitter, fun foam

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - SU Just Believe, Great Impressions sentiment
Ink - StazOn Black, Distress Frayed Burlap
Paper - white cs, coated cs
Size - A2
Accessories - fun foam


11 comments:

  1. I love this sweet polar bear image with the little kids having so much fun! Your sympathy card is perfection! LOVE the colour you brayerd for the background. The droplets really add some lovely visual texture and this is all fantastic for your silhouette flowers and grasses. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this bear with the children, Susan! It always brings a smile to my fact! The sympathy card is perfect with the water drops and silhouette flowers! Great choice of background color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only you would have such a perfect stamp for that photo! How cute is that! And I just love your sympathy card from your neutral background to that wonderful silhouette. I even went hunting for that one. Your brayering turned out flawless too. I need to try that again since it's been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your silhouette is just perfect for a sympathy card, Susan! I also love how you added texture to your design with your background...Stunning card! Love your sweet Christmas card, too :)
    Thanks so much for playing along with us at Addicted to CAS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven´t seen that serie but I love your card! Perfect Christmas card! Thanks for joining AAA Cards! Hugs Åsa

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect stamp you chose, Susan! The card is so pretty!
    Love the moon and the splatter of the sympathy card. Your choice of the stamp and the background color is wonderful.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes! I can see how that show inspired your card. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards, hope to see you join in with future challenges too. Keep safe, stay home and craft instead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your polar bear with the kids is perfect for the photo you posted! Thanks for playing along with us at AAA Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two perfect cards for the respective occasions. I’m glad you included the photo of the tv show because I don’t know it... cute Christmas card. Your sympathy card is so pretty... love the colour palette.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable Christmas card and what a fantastic sympathy card with a great colour combination and perfect splats x.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.