A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 14 May 2020

A Mini Spring Card and a Purple Christmas Card

Popping in under the wire for a couple of challenges!

First up, Just Us Girls "Mini" challenge:

I made a small card (4.5x3.5"), with a small image of small flowers.


I got out an old PSX stamp of crocuses, stamped and watercoloured the image and painted some earth around the flowers to ground them. I added a bit of splatter in yellow and purple. I didn't want the sentiment to be as bold as the image so stamped it in brown instead of black. Then trimmed it and popped it up on fun foam.


Then off to 52 Christmas Card Throwdown "Non-Traditional Colours" challenge:



I'm not a huge fan on non-traditional Christmas colours but made myself go with a purple background!


I used various purple and violet Oxide inks and created a smooshed background. I used it to back my reindeer / trees / snowflake die, and also die cut the sentiment out of a scrap of it. Popped the panel up on fun foam for more dimension.

 






Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - PSX crocuses, Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Ink - Archival Jet Black, Memento Rich Cocoa
Paper - mixed media and cream cs
Size - 4.5x3.5"
Accessories - watercolour paints, Spellbinders rectangle die, fun foam

Supplies for card 2:
Ink - various Distress oxide inks
Paper - mixed media and white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Tattered Lace winter die, reindeer / snowflakes frame die, fun foam


10 comments:

  1. Love these tiny crocus, Susan! All that white space lets them shine! A pretty backgrounds in purples that perfect for this awesome die cut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your tiny crocus are gorgeous in that mound of soil and wow what a background for your framed deer love that mix of purples and blues :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What stunning representatives of both spring and winter, Susan! I love your coloring and schplatters on the wee croci card and that purple background on your Christmas design ROCKS behind all that snowy white!! Take care and continue to keep safe. Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your crocuses are so sweet, Susan. Definitely the first burst of colour for spring. I love the brown ink used for sentiment --- good call! Your purple smooshed background makes a fabulous night sky for your winter scene. Another beautiful card, my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both cards are fab. Love the simple, sweet crocus on your spring card. Thanks for playing along with JUGS, Deborah, GDT. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm swooning over that purple background, Susan. Love a good smooshing. :D Your crocus are so sweet and bring a breath of Spring that we all need. Thanks for sharing that card with us at Just Us Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like both cards, Susan. The color on the deer one is just gorgeous and I'm green with envy over that PSX stamp! Those were just gorgeous. You did an outstanding job painting it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicate and beautiful Spring card and so very dainty. I love non traditional Christmas colours and yours is amazing Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan: I'm here to comment on the Christmas card for 52 CCT and I happen to love purple! It's my favorite color. Your inked background is so artistic behind the die-cuts! Wonderful Christmas card! Thanks for sharing with us! From the DT, Becca

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate you going out of your comfort zone for your Christmas Card - I love your beautiful background, and it is perfect with the crisp white die cut (which I envy!) It creates such atmosphere and drama. Your Spring card is a complete contrast but also lovely. Thanks for playing along with the 52CCT this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.