A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 3 July 2019

Winter Snowflake

It is quite warm in Vancouver today as I write this post so it seems very strange to be thinking about snowflakes!  But that is the July challenge for CAS Christmas.  Bonnie is hosting it and I think she chose it because it's much hotter where she lives so maybe the thought of snow helps to keep her cool!


I enjoyed making my card but did not enjoy photographing it - I had to try several times to deal with the shimmery cream cs and the pearlescent embossing paste.  Here's the best I could do:



I used a really old Dreamweaver snowflake stencil that I haven't touched in years.  I taped it down on white cs and used the Dreamweaver Pearlescent paste through it.  I had some creamy shimmer cs that matches it really well so die cut the two sentiments and created the card base from it.

When the paste was dry, I trimmed it with a stitched square die, then played around with the placement of the two sentiments for ages - having "winter" on the top and "snow" on the bottom makes more sense linguistically, but just didn't look right stylistically!  I finally glued them on and popped the panel up on fun foam on the card base.

Here's a close-up to show you the lovely sparkle of the Pearlescent paste and the shimmer of the cardstock - so happy I had something that matched so well!


Please come and join us with your clean and simple cards featuring a snowflake or two (or more).  There's lots of inspiration over at CAS Christmas from the rest of the Design Team and July's Guest Designer, Jane (Onions and Paper).






Supplies:
Paper - white cs, cream shimmer cs
Size - 5.25" square
Accessories - Dreamweaver snowflake stencil, Dreamweaver Pearlescent paste, Simon Says Stamp "snow" and "winter" dies, Lil Inker stitched square die, fun foam



10 comments:

  1. Wow, that paste is just gorgeous! I've never seen the pearlescent one. You did a fabulous job with the photo. This caught my eye before I read your description. I love that you matched the paper so perfectly too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The layout is perfect Susan and I love the pearlescent paste. Such an elegant and pretty Christmas card x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so worth the trouble photographing, Susan! Love all the pearly goodness and you did get it to show in the picture! That's a really pretty snowflake stencil. I hope to see it again soon. I wish these snowflakes would make it feel cooler. 98° today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about photographing those glimmery and shiny items. But I think it is stunning what you created! I love the font of those two words! Heart Hugs, Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan the pearlescent paste looks amazing with the pearlized card stock, so stylish :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card Susan. That pearlescent embossing paste is so cool. I need to pull it out and use it again! So pretty with the match of pearl paper. Very elegant and beautiful card! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is beautiful. I just got my metal stencils out again recently. Sometimes I forget all about them because they are stuck in the closet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elegant card, Susan. I bet it’s just stunning IRL since you had such trouble photographing it. But I think you did a fab job. I can see the gorgeous shimmer and sparkle. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just love your shimmery snowflake card, Susan!! Your photo looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is stunning, Susan! The card is beautiful and elegant and your photo is fantastic! The shimmery cream cs and the pearlescent embossing paste!? It would take me forever taking good pictures of them and editing them, and yet probably my photo wouldn't capture the beautiful shimmer, the subtle color, and the shine from the paste like this. Great great job!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.