A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 2 April 2019

Elegant Writer Poppy

Loll has chosen a great theme for April's CAS Watercolour Challenge:


I love poppies and have many (far too many) poppy stamps so it was hard to choose which one to use.  But finally got it narrowed down and here is the resulting card:


I got out my Elegant Writer pen and decided to use a technique I learned from Lydia Fiedler (Understand Blue).  See her post here for a video describing the technique. 

If you're not familiar with the Elegant Writer pen, it's an amazing ink pen that goes on black but will react with water to separate into different shades of grey, teal, and a mauve/pink. 

All was going really well for the first part - I put the stamp in my MISTI and stamped with Distress Vintage Photo.  Then there was a major problem with the next step where I was supposed to go over some of the lines with the Elegant Writer pen - my pen seemed to have dried up and would not write.  But there was still ink down at the bottom of the nib - it just wouldn't flow to the tip to write.  So instead of adding it to the image and then drawing the colour out with a wet brush, I took my wet brush to the bottom of the nib, picked up some of the colour and took it to the image on my wet brush.  The more water you use, the more colour separation you get.  I got a nice variation throughout the flower and leaves.

For the stems, buds, seed heads, and butterfly, I used a clean wet brush and pulled out some of the Vintage Photo from the stamping to colour them in.

I decided not to add a sentiment as I love just the look of the image - it's a wonderful collage image of the poppies, the text, and the background dots.  I trimmed the panel and popped it up on fun foam on a kraft card base.

I'm really happy with the CAS vintage look to it.

We're looking forward to seeing a gallery of wonderful poppies this month.  Head over to CAS Watercolour to see the rest of the inspiration from the Design Team and our talented Guest Designer, Rachel (Creating Paper Hugs).  You have until April 24th to link up.





Supplies:
Stamps - Carabelle Studio
Ink - Distress Vintage Photo
Paper - hot press watercolour paper, kraft cardstock
Size - 6x4.25"
Accessories - Elegant Writer pen, fun foam



13 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your poppy, Susan! I've never tried this technique and I think I even have an elegant writer around here somewhere. I need to give this a try.
    And, my friend, I don't think there's such a thing as too many poppy stamps and/or dies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful and artsy poppy image. Just PERFECT done with the elegant writer. So smart to take a wet brush to the nib. Your colouring is gorgeous! LOVE this card Susan! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan what a wonderful way to use the elegant writer. I think I prefer this to using it as a pen and adding water. The colour mix is so beautuful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really special - i love the colours! Thanks for the tip - I'll check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely and the softest colors. Just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a BEAUTIFUL image you used Susan! I thought I had quite a collection of Poppy stamps too, but apparently I'm missing this one and think I need to check it out! I've never heard of an Elegant Writer Pen before either, but absolutely love the soft muted water colored look you achieved with it! Lovely, lovely card!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So love this vintage stamped image and what a fabulous water colour effect you have achieved. Thank you for the tip with the dried up pen and what gorgeous colours x.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous stamped vintage poppy image, Susan. I love how your Elegant Writer pen worked out. There is such a wonderful array of separate neutral colors in your image. Loved how your framed your card front with the kraft CS too. TFS my friend. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. love, love this....so elegant and wonderful to see. Thanks for the inspiration mf.
    x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Striking and classy, Susan. Love the non-traditional look. I’m not familiar with the Elegant Writer pen, but your resolution to your dried up pen is brilliant... looks amazing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous colors you achieved with your Elegant writer pen Susan - I bought one after seeing Lydia's tutorial and tried it once very unsuccessfully! This is a beautiful stamp and wonderfully watercolored! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful and elegant poppy with a vintage look, Susan! I love the gorgeous color separation of the flower and leaves from your Elegant Writer pen! I must get the pens and try this technique! ;-) The Kraft card base is the perfect choice!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never even heard of an Elegant Writer pen let alone used one but this now has made me want , no need, to source one and give it a try. Love the effect here. Great card

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.