A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 16 November 2023

Two Colour Challenges

Two recent colour challenges inspired my most recent Christmas cards.

First for 52 Christmas Card Throwdown "Kraft, Black, and White" and also for Cardz 4 Guyz "A Winter Scene":

I die cut the birch trees out of white cs and layered them over black shimmer cs.  I added a few snowflakes cut from white glitter cs.  The deer are cut twice from kraft cs, glued together, and sponged a little bit with Distress Brushed Corduroy.  Their legs are glued to the white ground and their upper bodies popped up on the black background.  

Then a very traditional colour challenge from The Paper Players - "Red, Green, and Gold":

I put the berry branch stamp in my MISTI and inked it up with red and green markers, spritzed lightly with water, and stamped on watercolour paper.  Repeated until I was happy with the results.  I trimmed the panel with a pierced dot rectangle die, and layered it over a gold shimmer card base.  I die cut the sentiment twice out of the same gold cs, glued them together, and added to the card.

    Cardz 4 Guyz Logo








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Simon Says Stamp sentiment
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne, Distress Brushed Corduroy
Paper - black shimmer cs, white and kraft cs, white glitter cs
Size - A2
Accessories - deer dies, birch tree die, small snowflake die, pop dots

Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Penny Black
Paper - watercolour paper, gold shimmer cs
Size - A2
Accessories - red and green markers, Spellbinders pierced dot rectangle die, Penny Black Be Merry die


8 comments:

  1. Two very pretty cards Susan, and I love the contrast with the white birch trees over the black shimmer card, and great with the added deer in kraft, and the beautiful watercoloured berry branch using markers and spritzed before stamping, and the results look fabulous. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards Susan - the spritzed foliage is just lovely. Thanks for playing my colour challenge over at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your card in black, white and kraft. Very clean and crisp. The water coloring by spritzing gives such a great look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your winter scene with the black background and those sweet deer. Beautiful watercolouring of your branch and berries. Love traditional colours! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic die cut winter scene!! Thank you for playing along with our "Winter Scene" challenge over at Cardz 4 Guyz!! A true card "4 a guy" with that duo of deer hanging out in the forrest!
    -Deb Horst, DT #C4G335

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card! You used colors fantastically Thanks for playing at 52 CCT challange.

    ReplyDelete
  7. both cards are so pretty, I especially love your berries and foliage with the pops of colour ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet forest scene, Susan! Love the white birches against the dark sky and your shading makes the deer extra special! Love those red berries! They are so festive!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.