A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 28 November 2023

Smooshing with Cling Wrap

The Group of Seven Cardmakers are using cling wrap with smooshing this month.  Here's my first card:


For this one I used Magicals on black mixed media cs.  Love the sparkle and the texture I got.

I die cut a reindeer out of silver glitter cs and had him leaping off a sentiment die.

Up next:

This card uses Magicals on watercolour paper.  I didn't get as much texture with this one but I do love the colours.  I had to use quite a lot of Magicals and a lot of water to stop the colour getting absorbed too quickly into the watercolour paper.  Loll kindly lent me her reindeer stamp that I've been trying to buy for ages and I stamped and heat embossed it in black.  Luckily I was using my MISTI as it took a lot of repeat inking and stamping to get a good impression on the watercolour paper.  

I wanted to border it in black but all my black cs looked dull next to the shine of the black heat embossing and the sparkly streaks from the Magicals, so I ran Versamark around the edges of a die cut rectangle of cs and then heat embossed with black embossing powder.  It's much more effective as a border.  To continue the shine I used a white shimmer cs for the card base.

Head on over to Group of Seven Cardmakers if you want to see more examples of this technique using different papers and different products.  And feel free to add an example of your own to the linky!








Supplies for card 1:
Paper - black mixed media cs, white cs, silver glitter cs
Size - 7x3.75"
Accessories - aqua Magicals, Penny Black reindeer die, Memory Box sentiment die

Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Studio Light
Ink - Versamark, Versafine Clair Nocturne
Paper - watercolour paper, white shimmer cs
Size - A2
Accessories - black and clear embossing powders, blue and mauve Magicals

13 comments:

  1. The background on your deer card is just fascinating, Susan! It works so perfectly with the schparkly deer. And I love the icy wintry background on your second, too. Note to self about how you made the glossy embossed border ~ so clever and effective! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  2. the magicals on black is stunning Susan, the perfect night sky and the second card has such pretty soft wintery colours xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really can't wait to try this technique, Susan!
    By the way, I hear birthday wishes are in order today? May all your birthday wishes come true!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two lovely deer on your cards Susan! Your backgrounds are so shimmery using the Magicals - both light and dark! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Love your Brushos on Black Cardstock and your Magicals pretty softer background card using the smooshing with Cling Wrap Techniques, Susan. Such different, but beautiful effects.
    Happy Birthday also, dear friend. I mailed your card about 10 days ago..enjoy ! Wishing you a special creative day and healthy, happy year, my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little birdie told us it was your birthday today. Happy Birthday, Susan. Have a great day. Lovely cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cards! Looks like a fun technique! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both cards are so sparkly and beautiful, Susan. I LOVE the drama of the magicals on black card stock. Your leaping reindeer is so lovely in silver glittter paper. I have that same die - LOVE IT! Amazing colours on your second card, especially with the added sparkle. Heat embossing a black border was such a great idea to get the same shine as the rest of the card. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought to use magicals on black cardstock and will try now after seeing your great results. What a beautiful card that is. The soft color of the magicals is lovely on the second card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to wish you the happiest belated birthday ever. I hope your day was magical, just like your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two awesome cards, Susan! Love both backgrounds and the first with the sparkly leaping reindeer is amazing! Thanks for the tip about the black border to match the embossing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both cards look fabulous Susan and the first is very dramatic with the Magicals on black card and a great contrast with the silver glitter card leaping reindeer and large white sentiment, and then that wonderful stag image in black with the softer tones of blue and purple and although there is less texture from the clingfilm, you can definitely see it and the design is great. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two gorgeous Cling Wrap background cards, Susan! I love the pretty sparkle and the distinct texture ('cells')! Using the black MM paper for this technique gives the card a dramatic, masculine feeling.
    The second card has a totally different impression - soft and airy. The shiny black border gives the card clear definition. It's worth taking the time to heat-emboss the border!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.