A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 2 November 2023

Bear in a Shaker and Small Vertical Elements

52 Christmas Card Throwdown's technique challenge is "Shaker Card" and CAS on Friday's theme challenge is "Animal".  I've got both in this card:

The bear is watercoloured and fussy cut and placed on top of a square of silver cs embossed with a snowflake embossing folder.  I added thick dimensional tape around the edges of the silver cs, sprinkled in some sequins and micro-beads, then added a layer of acetate to the top of it.  I set it behind a white square of cs out of which I die cut a centre square.

The ABC Christmas Challenge wants "U for Use It Up" and / or "V for Vertical".  I included both - using up a scrap of background and a vertical sentiment.  And Christmas Craft Creations wants "Monochromatic".


The background is a tiny leftover bit from a larger background I created by smooshing blue Distress Oxide inks on mixed media cs.  I added a small vertically-oriented die cut and stamped a vertical sentiment.

  For your blog   








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - unknown bear stamp, PB sentiment
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne, SU Real Red
Paper - white cs, silver cs, watercolour paper
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - watercolour paints, snowflake embossing folder, sequins, microbeads, dimensional tape

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Ink - various blue Distress Oxide inks
Paper - white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - unknown die, fun foam

7 comments:

  1. Two brilliant cards Susan, and the skating bear is so cute and love the silver embossed background and the shaker element is fantastic, also the second with that beautiful blue smooshed background and the white die cut scene is so pretty and love the vertical sentiment and the stitched frame, and perfect popped up for added dimension. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the range from adorable to classic and elegant, Susan! That bear is one of my favorite stamps and I love how you have encased him in your fun shaker design! And your smooched Christmas card is wonderfully CASlicious! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful cards, both. But my favorite is the deer one. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  4. your bear card is adorable, I think I have that stamp set and now want to pull it out :) Love the second for it's simplicity, the die is perfect for small swatches of backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The foil makes a fantastic background for this skating bear and being a shaker makes it even better! You found a perfect home for that leftover piece! Love the die cut and the vertical sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty watercolor, monochromatic card for our challenge! Thank you for playing along at Christmas Craft Creations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love that shaker card, Susan. So fun!! And gorgeous CAS design using that fabulous winter scene die with a small snippet of pretty background. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.