A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 13 November 2023

Blue / Purple Sky and a Birthday Cat

Sneaking in under the wire for Color Hues "Light Blue and Purple":

The background was done with blue and purple reinkers on mixed media cs, then covered in wrinkled cling wrap while it dried.  The snowy tree die is cut from white glitter cs, and it's mounted on a blue/grey card base that in real life matches the blue in the background better than it does in the photo.

As you probably know, I'm very focused on making Christmas cards right now, but friends do have birthdays coming up.  I used Seize the Birthday "Neutrals Only" to get me to make one for a guy friend.  He adores his black cat, Maisie, so I had to add her to the card!

I inked up the background stamp randomly with various Distress Oxide inks, spritzed lightly with water, and stamped onto mixed media cs.  Once dry, I stamped the cat in black (using my MISTI to get a good solid impression) and heat embossed it, then bordered in black cs, and added to an off-white card base.

 








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Make an Impression sentiment
Ink - ColorBox Heliotrope, various blue and purple reinkers
Paper - blue / grey cs, white glitter cs, mixed media cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - cling wrap, Spellbinders circle die, Memory Box trees die

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Savvy Stamps sentiment, Lavinia cat, Magenta (?) branches
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne, various Distress Oxide inks
Paper - mixed media, black, and off white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - SU label punch, black embossing powder


9 comments:

  1. Such a pretty frame in that white glitter card Susan, and the blue and purple sky background looks wonderful, and then your birthday card with the cute Lavinia cat, and background foliage looks great in these neutral tones..a beautiful card. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two great cards. I like the touch of purple on the sky. The cat with the ruffled fur is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your sparkly Christmas card, Susan! That sky background is just gorgeous. As for card number 2, what a nice way to make the card extra special by adding the cat. He will love it for sure. Thanks for joining us at Color Hues and our sister challenge Seize the Birthday! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the colours of your sky for your Christmas card. They are so lovley together and the cling wrap has added wonderful texture. So pretty paired with the glittery trees and snowhills. Your friend is going to love his birthday card with his beloved Maisie as the star! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your spritzing and cellophane techniques are wonderful!!! I really love that sky in the CH card....and the sprigs in the STB one. As members of both teams thank you so very much for supporting us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two delightful cards. I'm especially taken with your sparkly trees and the oh-so-pretty sky you created with the cling wrap. Such an eye-catching impression using that technique. Thank you for joining us at Colour Hues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your card with the cat, your background is so pretty and of course I always love cling wrap backgrounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful sky in the first card and I love how the black cat shows against the watery background!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your card with the cute kitty silhouette. Thanks for sharing this with us at Seize the Birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.