A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 28 May 2023

Ink Blending on Coloured Cardstock

Our Group of Seven Cardmakers technique for May was ink blending on coloured cardstock.  It's a great easy technique to add extra interest to coloured cardstock.  We used a video called "Be Bold and Add Drama to Your Cards".

I ended up making three cards while practising the techniques, two for Hannukah and one for Christmas.

For both of these cards, I used a lighter blue cs and a slightly darker shade of blue ink for blending around the edges.  The images are heat embossed in silver and the panels are bordered in silver.  On the first card I added some water splatters as well as the white splatters, but on the second, I just did white splatters.

Here's the Christmas card:

I did this first on a darker red cs but the ink blending didn't show up enough so I redid it using a lighter red cs.  Gold heat embossing, gold splatters, and a gold card base tied it all together.

These really are quick and easy cards to make so I'm sure I'll be using the technique again.  My only piece of advice to those of you who want to try it is to make sure your coloured cs is light enough to leave some contrast with your ink blending.

Head over to Group of Seven for more information and samples from the rest of the group.  Feel free to link up any cards you make using the technique but just be aware we are not a challenge and don't promise to comment on all of your cards.








Supplies for Hanukkah cards:
Stamps - SU Jewish Celebrations
Ink - Versamark, Distress Faded Jeans
Paper - white, blue, silver cs
Size - 5.25" square
Accessories - TH silver embossing powder, white paint


Supplies for Christmas cards:
Stamps - Penny Black
Ink - ColorBox gold, Distress Aged Mahogany
Paper - red, black, gold cs
Size - A2
Accessories - TH gold embossing powder, gold paint

8 comments:

  1. Your Hanukkah cards are SO pretty with the blending and splattering Susan, particularly the water splatter (which I forgot to do on any of my cards!) And your poinsettia on the red card is just lovely with the darker blending and black strip for the sentiment! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE all three cards ... the Hanukkah cards are your colours! :) So pretty with the silver framing. The red card is so pretty with the dark red sponging and gold embossing --- very elegant. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three great card Susan, I love the addition of the water splatters on the first one. This is a great way to add to your Christmas stash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found that lighter cardstock worked best too, Susan! I LOVE your Hanukkah cards! They have the perfect amount of sponging to make the stamped design stand out! The poinsettias on the red card are so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three gorgeous ink blending on colored cardstock holiday cards, Susan. I loved all 3 of your beauties and appreciate your tip to use not too dark of a colored cardstock and your inspiring holiday cards with the technique. I really need a boost to get my holiday cards started. I will definitely be using this new to me technique. TFS my dear friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards, Susan. The sponging around the edges really makes the image pop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I can only think of one word for a comment: perfection! That's it, Susan. I can just imagine the feeling of satisfaction you got when you finished each one of these beautiful designs! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  8. Three great looks using this pretty technique Christine, and I don't tend to use coloured card very often so will look forward to doing so. Both the blue and red make really pretty backgrounds and some super spattering too. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.