A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 12 May 2023

A Mixed Media Card for a Guy

Cardz 4 Guyz want us to "Get Messy with Inks, Paints, or Sprays.  I really struggle with masculine cards but pulled out an older Tim Holtz image for this one.


I did a background of smooshing with Oxide inks - tapping them on my craft mat, spritzing with water, then smooshing my piece of mixed media cs into them, drying between layers. 

I then stenciled with a grid stencil and vintage photo ink, stamped the postmark and blue splats for extra interest.

The man and the sentiment are stamped in black and heat embossed in clear. And the panel is popped up on fun foam for extra dimension.

He's got an umbrella so I'm assuming it's a rainy day so I'm adding it to The Paper Players "Rainy Days" challenge.

Cardz 4 Guyz Logo 

 







Supplies:
Stamps - Tim Holtz man and sentiment, SU French Foliage postage mark and splat
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black, various Distress oxide inks
Paper - mixed media and cream cs
Size - A2
Accessories - clear embossing powder, grid stencil, fun foam

9 comments:

  1. I really love this TH gentleman with an umbrella and the background goes beautifully..a great sentiment too Susan. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Susan! I like your "messy" ink job! The Tim Holtz umbrella guy is a perfect image for the challenge. Thanks for playing with us at The Paper Players!
    Xoxo, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, i love that background and it's perfect for a guy card. It reminds me of well-worn leather and fits so well with the Tim Holtz image. so glad you shared this with us at the Paper Players this week
    Jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, this is so perfect for my challenge! I love the umbrella man and the background is fabulous! So happy you joined my challenge this week at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome card Susan! Love the colours of your smooshed background. Fabulous layering of ink, stenciling, stamping and embossing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for "getting messy" with us over at Cardz 4 Guyz!! You rocked the masculine element of our challenge with your gentleman & his umbrella!! Fantastic inky smooshed background!
    -Deb Horst, DT #C4G321

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a perfect card for a guy! Love the background and the gent with the umbrella!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great background and focal image - very effective.

    Thanks for joining us at Cardz 4 Guyz.

    Helen x
    DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool masculine card, Susan! I LOve the various subtle colors in the background. Finding those colors is like treasure hunting. The layered stenciling and stamping adds depth, and the gentleman and sentiment stamped in black look bold and awesome!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.