A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 5 November 2022

Inspired Robin and Background

For the new Peace on Earth challenge, I was totally inspired by the mood board (see below, the top right image).  I immediately thought of a stamp I have of a robin sitting on a holly branch.  And I wanted to recreate the snowy grey background.


I started by stamping the image and watercolouring it.  I then stamped it again on masking paper, fussy cut it, and masked the watercoloured image.

My crafty Zoom group did a technique recently where we made backgrounds by using gesso through a stencil to create a resist.  This is one of them.  I made a stencil by using a die of multiple small snowflakes.  I laid the stencil over my panel and went over it with white gesso.  This created a faint resist of small snowflakes.  I sponged with two shades of grey blue ink.  I removed the mask from the bird and holly and splattered with a bit of watered down gesso.

I added a few snowflakes die cut from the same die I used to create the stencil and a die cut sentiment.  And finished off by going over the snow on the branch and holly with a quickie glue pen and some glitter (sorry - it's hard to see the sparkle in the photo).

Here's the Peace on Earth mood board that inspired me:

 

Please come and join us at Peace on Earth.  You can either be inspired by the mood board or enter an "anything Christmas goes" card.

I'm also entering it in Sparkles Christmas Challenge "Festive Things with Wings".

And the Winter Wonderland Challenge "Robin Redbreast".








Supplies:
Stamps - Penny Black
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black, Altenew Arctic, Archival Pearlescent Ice Blue
Paper - watercolour paper, off white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - watercolour paints, masking paper, white gesso, glitter, Spellbinders Noel die, Cheery Lynn snowflakes die

11 comments:

  1. Wow this is beautiful just love the robin x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your robin is so cute. A great take on the moodboard!
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you certainly 'nailed' the mood board with your beautiful card, perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I just LOVE what you've shared today! Another AMAZING DT project ... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love all the snow on this Susan - the splatter, the snowflakes and the snow layering on your images! The background is beautiful in the blue/grey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the stenciled background that captures the hues of a snowy day and that robin is gorgeous! Beautiful inspiration, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your snowy background is so pretty with that sweet bird on a branch. Beautiful card Susan. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Robin on the branch and love your wintery background. Great watercolouring ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous Winter Robin scene, Susan. I LOVE your snowing stenciled, WC and painted background for your beautifully water colored robin, my friend. TFS your detailed techniques. Love and Hugs and Happy Christmas Card creating:-) Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty card. Love the background and the darling bird. So glad you shared over at Sparkles Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very pretty, Susan! Your delicate coloring is perfect, and I love the snow! Thanks so much for playing at Sparkles!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.