A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 14 November 2022

Blue, Red, and White for Christmas

52 Christmas Card Throwdown has a colour challenge - use blue, red, and white only.  So I made these cards:


 

The background is done using Jennifer McGuire's distress monoprint technique.  See this video for detailed instructions.  On this card I used the background created by the first step of the technique.  I sponged a piece of mixed media cs with various blue Distress ink and then stamped my swirly snowflake background stamp over it with Versamark and heat embossed with clear embossing powder.  This intensifies the colour underneath it.  For a touch of shimmer, I randomly sprayed some pearlized spray over it.

My resulting piece of background was just enough to make two cards using the same die.  The die cuts out the frame, tree, and birds in one go.  I kept the tree / frame section white, and smooshed the birds in a couple of shades of red Distress inks.  I smooshed a scrap of white cs in the same red inks and die cut the sentiments from that.  I glued everything on the background and then popped the panel up on fun foam on the card base to give some dimension.

52 Christmas Card Throwdown 


 







Supplies:
Stamps - unknown snowflake background stamp
Ink - various blue and red Distress inks, Versamark
Paper - mixed media and white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Memory Box frame / tree / birds die, Spellbinders sentiment dies, clear embossing powder, pearlized spray, fun foam

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards Susan. I LOVE the background design. And you've nailed the challenge using these colours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous background, Susan! It's so perfect for this pretty framed tree and red birds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pops of red, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trina P (having trouble leaving comments with name/URL, so hopefully as anonymous works)
    This is so beautiful! Fabulous use of the colours which normally makes me think of the Fourth of July. *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Susan, love that colour combo- the pops of red cardinals are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh c'est magnifique et très élégant Susan, merci de jouer avec nous chez 52CCT, biz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card! You used the colours very nicely! Thanks for playing at 52 CCT challange.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful Susan! I thought I saw shimmer in the background and then read your description - great idea! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous card at 52CCT:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.