A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 3 January 2022

Silver Trees, Gold Reindeer

Another year of CAS Christmas challenges starts today.  Julia is our host this month and she's asking for Silver and Gold.


I started by stamping and heat embossing the row of trees in silver.  I then die cut the reindeer out of gold patterned cs - it makes me think of that fabric called "moire" the way it's done in two tones with one tone more matte and the other more gloss.  I thought it would add more interest and texture to the reindeer.  I die cut them twice more out of scraps of cs and glued them together for more dimension.

I then laid them out and sketched some lines around them to ground them, removed them, and went over the sketched lines with a Versamarker pen and heat embossed the lines in silver.  Then figured out the placement of my sentiment and stamped and heat embossed it in silver.  Then glued the reindeer in place.

It was really hard to get a good photo.  The one above shows some of the silver of the trees, but here's another that really shows the silver and the gold but is not a very good photo:


Here's the photo I like the best but the silver looks black in it:


It's certainly best seen in real life!

Get a head start on your Christmas cards and join us at CAS Christmas.  There's lots more inspiration from this month's fabulous Guest Designer, Lisa (of My Paper Tales) and the rest of the Design Team.

 

I'm also linking it up with Christmas Craft Creations "Make a Scene".









Supplies:
Stamps - SU Lovely as a Tree, Simon Says Stamp sentiment
Ink - ColorBox silver, Versamarker
Paper - white cs, gold textured "moire" cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Ranger silver embossing powder, fun foam

18 comments:

  1. Such a peaceful scene, Susan! Love the silver trees and yes, silver is hard to photo. But it's easy to see they re silver and love the pattern in the deer too. Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, such a beautiful wintery scene created with silver and gold. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Susan, love that classic SU tree background. It looks perfect with your gold deer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous Susan! Thanks for sharing with us over at the Christmas Craft Creations Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL card Susan! I still love and use my "Lovely As A Tree" stamp set...it's just so classic for that row of trees! And they look beautiful embossed in the silver! And your two toned gold deer are the perfect pop of color! Lovely, lovely card my friend! Hugs. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic scene, Susan! I love the embossed silver trees and the wonderful gold deer! This is an awesome Christmas card, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, what a beautiful scene! It's so peaceful. Love this Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning, Susan! The two-tone gold deer definitely add so much interest and texture to the card! You caught the great shine in your second picture.
    The added sketched lines made this scene look so realistic and perfect!! Love it!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful take on the challenge, Susan! I love the shine on your silver trees and your gold deer are stunning! A really lovely scene and gorgeous card ~ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your silver and gold card design Susan. The trees looks amazing in silver and I love how you've added the silver lines to ground your deer. The moire gold reindeer are beautiful. I used to have drapes made of moire so I knew exactly what you meant ... and the patterned paper is exactly that. This card is beautiful and elegant. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just beautiful, Susan. I wondered how you did the grounding, so thank you for sharing that. A peaceful scene for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry I'm late in visiting Susan - the link on the site isn't to your blog. What a beautiful gold you used - it really looks like fur on the deer - and very creative embossing the lines under their feet - a lovely card for my challenge! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty serene looking scene Susan, the trees look stunning embossed in silver and that gold patterned paper gives a wow factor to the deer, beautiful CAS card, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful card Susan, lovely embossed trees and CAS design. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG...Gorgeous silver heat EB Lovely as a Tree background for your beautiful die cut deer. Love how you grounded the deer and your sweet tiny sentiment...all perfectly balanced. BTW..I was impressed with all your photos..we can definitely see all the beautiful shiny heat embossing. BTW..Lovely As a Tree was one of my very 1st SU stamp sets and has the date 2001...Now I know I started stamping about 25 years ago:-) We do have fun, my dear friend. Miss You. Love and Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susan, you really nailed it with these silver trees and gold deer. I really love them all, what a great design and having the silver trees really makes it a wintry and magical scene! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful woodland winter scene. That gold pattern paper is amazing and so perfect to die cut the deer from.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful Winter scene. The silver looks so pretty and the gold card stock is perfect Susan x.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.