A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 21 September 2021

Hemstitch Border

I've seen people using a hemstitch border with a background colour showing through and really like the look of it so finally broke down and bought the hemstitch dies.  Here's my first card using it:


The design of the card was inspired from some cards I've seen on Pinterest with a bunch of squares of alcohol ink background and heat embossed images.  I used a variety of blue AIs as it's my sister's favourite colour and her birthday is coming up.  I dribbled the AIs on glossy cs, spritzed with blending solution and let the colours run and then dry.

I die cut six squares out of the panel and put each one in my Misti (using a Sizzix Sticky Grid sheet to hold them in place as the little squares were too small to hold down with magnets).  I stamped and heat embossed various bits of wildflower images, half of them in white and half in gold.  

Then I arranged them on white cs with a gold heat embossed sentiment below, and die cut with the hemstitch rectangle.  I didn't have any gold cs that perfectly matched the gold heat embossing, so cut a rectangle of white cs and heat embossed its edges in the same gold embossing powder.  Layered it behind the main panel and then added the whole thing to a white card base.

Seize the Birthday is calling for "Faux or Real Stitching" so I'm linking up there, hoping that faux hemstitching counts for the challenge.










Supplies:
Stamps - SavvyStamps sentiment, various wildflower stamps by Magenta, Rubbernecker, Penny Black, and Lavinia
Ink - ColorBox white and gold pigment ink, various blue alcohol inks
Paper - white and glossy cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Spellbinders small square die, Spellbinders hemstitch rectangle die, white and gold embossing powders

10 comments:

  1. Susan what an amazing card. The alcohol ink blue colours look beautiful and love how you did the gold behind that fabulous hemstitch die. This is a favourite of mine Susan and it is stunning x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning!!! Your sister will love it.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These little AI squares with the sweet wildflowers are so pretty! The gold peeking through the hemstitch frame and gold embossing make this very elegant! I think your sister will LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one, great design! Love the gold in your hemstitch die. It’s one I’ve seen people use and am tempted to get myself. Love the AI backgrounds with the stamped wildflowers. Beautifully designed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...Gorgeous alcohol ink squares with gold and white heat embossed wildflowers, Susan. How clever of you to gold heat emboss behind the hemstitch border. It shows thru beautifully and matches the gold heat embossed wildflower:-) Your 1st die cut Hemstitch card is so stunning and your sister will treasure her birthday card made with Love! TFS my friend. Love and Hugs...P.S. I knew you would LOVE this die cut set:-) Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! GORGEOUS birthday card for Julie! LOVE the beautiful AI squares with the heat embossed images, Susan. Love this layout and perfect to show off your new hemstitch border (which looks amazing with the embossed gold underneath)! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Susan, I love the Hemstitched die and like you I've have been eyeing them for a while :) Your heat embossed AI squares look amazing with the die cut frame ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely think this counts as stitching!!! So beautiful. Love the beautiful windows and gold embossing! Thanks so much for playing along with us at the Seize the Birthday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a classy design! Love the pop of gold. The combination of gold with the fresh blue AIs looks gorgeous! Thanks for playing along with us at Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You joined the club, and I bet you won't regret it. I love the hemstitch dies too. :-)
    Gorgeous wildflower panels with white and gold heat-embossing! Gold peeking through the frame looks so pretty! I'm sure your sister will love this card.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.