A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 23 February 2020

No Dogs, No Horses, Just Cats - and Knitting!

Those who know me well know that I am passionate about dogs and horses but very lukewarm about cats.  I wouldn't say I dislike cats themselves, but I do hate the fact that they kill birds, and because I have bird feeders in my garden, I could never justify having a cat that went outside and I don't fancy the thought of trying to keep one indoors all the time.  So no cats for me.

But today I'm blogging two cards featuring cats!  And knitting (which is one of my other main hobbies).

First up for the ABC Christmas Challenge "C = Cat, D = Dog", (I chose "C = Cat") and for the Penny Black and More Challenge "Animals, Birds, or Butterflies", I created this card:


The Penny Black image is stamped and watercoloured with some Glossy Accents on the little light bulbs and a bit of Fun Flock on the cat's hat brim and pompom. It's trimmed with a stitched square die and popped up on fun foam.

Now that I look at the finished card, the cat came out a bit too yellow - she was meant to be more of a ginger/marmalade cat!



And for the Day of the Month Card Club "Send a Card to a Friend Day" challenge, I again went with a cat and knitting: 

Doesn't it look like the cat was about to play with the knitting and is looking up in surprise at being caught in the act?

A very CAS card - stamped, watercoloured, bordered in a matching blue, and popped up on fun foam.

It is for one of my friends who knits a lot and has a ginger cat.  We're in a knitting group together and she's a faithful attendee at the Christmas card fundraising sale I have every November, so I will send it to her to tell her how much I appreciate that support.

Phew, having survived two cards featuring cats, I definitely need to head off to my craft room and get out some dog and horse stamps!!!
 









Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Penny Black
Ink - Archival Jet Black
Paper - red cs, watercolour paper
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - watercolour paints, Lil Inker stitched square die, fun foam, Glossy Accents, Fun Flock

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Rubbernecker cat, Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black
Paper - watercolour paper, blue and white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - watercolour paints, fun foam

11 comments:

  1. Cats and wool simply belong together. Lovely card!! Thank you for sharing with us at DotMCC. We hope we see you again next month. Gundi

    ReplyDelete
  2. TWo adorable cat cards Susan! The PB cat is adorable all decked out for Christmas. This makes me smile! And your note card is so sweet. That cat does look a bit guilty! :) Your friend is going to love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What cute kitties, Susan. So many of my friends are cat lovers so I'm always on a hunt for kitty stamps. You did a great job water coloring and I agree about the funny look on that kitty on the second card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the cute cat on your second card sure looks mischievous and love the fun sweet cat on your Christmas card. I have similar thoughts about cats too Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a really fun and happy creation and the PB image is coloured beautifully, many thanks for joining in with our 'Animals, Birds and Butterflies' theme at Penny Black and More challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwww, both of your cards are just adorable! Thank you so much for playing along with us at DotMCC! Hugs, Cornelia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't believe I missed these two. such cute cards, I think I have the second stamp and haven't used it. Wonderful inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very cute creation featuring the gorgeous cats and the knitting - I have three cats but you will approve as they are all indoor cats (I can't tolerate the killing of my garden birds either!) - I also have two Golden Retrievers to keep them in check!!!!. Many thanks for joining us this month at Penny Black and More Challenges xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, I love both of your adorable cards, but the second one stole my heart! Just love that mischievous kitty! Thank you so much for playing along with us at DotMCC! Rosi x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m not a cat lover either, but these are adorable. Beautiful watercolouring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How gorgeous. Thanks for playing along with us at ABC Christmas Challenge. Looking forward to seeing your creative projects in the future galleries again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.