A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 19 February 2020

Charles Rennie Mackintosh Flower and Leaf

I love the work by the wonderful Scottish Arts and Crafts designer, Charles Rennie Mackintosh. He was one of the big influences on Frank Lloyd Wright and is well known (more so in the UK) for his early 19th century furniture, decorative arts, interior decorating, etc. designs. I was lucky to get to see a lot of his work when I was in Glasgow a few years ago.

I have a set of stamps from Chocolate Baroque, featuring Mackintosh's designs.



I stamped on watercolour paper, coloured with my Gansai Tambi paints, bordered with black, and popped up on fun foam.


It will be for a friend who also loves Mackintosh - her birthday isn't till November so I hope I don't forget I've got her card made!

It's for The Flower Challenge "Add Leaves".

 

and for Seize the Birthday "Show Me Your White Space".


 






Supplies:
Stamps - Chocolate Baroque
Ink - Archival Jet Black
Paper - watercolour paper, cream and black c
Size - A2
Accessories - Gansai Tambi watercolour paints, fun foam

12 comments:

  1. Nope, not familiar with the designer, but his work looks wonderful. Beautiful card and watercolouring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cards never fail to amaze me. Mackintosh is new to me but I'm intrigued by this amazing stamp! Love this one and perfectly watercolored too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love his style of using geometric lines withing his paintings and furniture, the stamp is so elegant and retro your friend will love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a modern geometric design for your beautiful image, Susan. Love your watercoloring and CAS framing. TFS my friend. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lucky friend to be receiving this card....if you can remember you kept it...LOL x A striking card with a fabulous Mackintosh image, which I love x. I am a big fan of his work x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a beautiful image ... no wonder you had to have this stamp set. It looks like a piece of stained glass to me. Now you need to find a "safe" place to keep this card until November ... a place you will remember. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not familiar with this artist but I can see why you love his work! What a special stamp to own and you've made a beautiful card with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The graphic design of the lines and the flower on your clean and simple card looks gorgeous! I had to goole to search for his works and I love them! Thanks for sharing :)! And thank you for joining us at The Flower Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the unique image of the stamp, Susan! I didn't know about the designer, and googled him. You beautifully watercolored the image and left some parts uncolored.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful image, Susan! Thank you for sharing the history. I love your design and coloring! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love CRM too, Susan ... your card is just beautiful ... soft colouring, wonderful graphic lines ... gorgeous! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so pretty! Great use of white space and the colours are so bright & cheerful. Thanks for playing along with Seize the Birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.