A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 3 February 2020

Joy

February's CAS Christmas Challenge is "Joy".

I pulled out my Memory Box Winter Joy die.  This is the die:

Image result for memory box winter joy

I haven't used it for ages.  In the past I've just die cut it and added it to a background.  This time I wanted to try and use it in a different way.

 
I die cut it out of masking paper and added the mask to a piece of white shimmer cs.  I then sponged and brushed a couple of shades of blue Distress ink over it.

I removed the mask.  I die cut the three letters of "joy" out of a scrap of aqua/turquoise shimmer cs and glued it over the letters on the card.

I mounted it on fun foam on a matching white shimmer cs card base.  And embellished it with blue and white sequins.

Head on over to CAS Christmas to see what the rest of the Design Team and our wonderful Guest Designer, Claire (String Bows Blog).  You have until February 24th to link up your card.  Please be sure it is clean and simple, and includes the theme of "joy" in some way.

I'm also linking it up to our sister challenge, CAS Mix-Up as the challenge there is "Stencil from Die-Cuts".






 


Supplies:
Ink - Distress Oxide Salty Ocean and Tumbled Glass
Paper - white shimmer and aqua/turquoise glitter cs
Size - 5.75x4.5"
Accessories - Memory Box Winter Joy die, masking paper, blue and white sequins, fun foam

14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, a friend and I both have this die and we said the same thing- how else can you use it! This was brilliant Susan, a fresh idea with a beautiful die. I'd have never thought to used the mask to do this. Thanks for a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very clever way of using the die Susan and such pretty blue inks too, and the joy die cut in a different blue colour shimmer cardstock looks great in the middle, also lots of lovely dimension with it popped up. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. great way of using the die. I must see this IRL, looks amazing in the photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to use the die, Susan!! You should add this to CAS Mix Up challenge - stencil from die! Love the bright blues with white ... very fresh! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an awesome way to use that die and it was so effective too! How fun to come up with new ways to use the same product...extends the life, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great die for this technique, my friend! Love the aqua blue and white!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I love the monochromatic theme to your stencilled card. The JOY is the perfect compliment along with the embellishments. The specs of gold add beautiful interest. Thanks for sharing this special beauty at CAS Mix Up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to stretch the die. Love the combo of blue/aqua colours. If you haven’t already, you should enter this at CAS Mix Up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea to mask and sponge around your pretty Joy, die. So pretty with the blue colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous idea to use the die cut as a mask and extend those dies x. A really beautifully card and so very pretty x.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - what a beauty, Susan! Just love the die as a stencil with the added letters popped on top!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to use that wonderful die Susan - this came out so pretty - a real SPLASH of joy here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful card, Susan! Love the design of the die and the shimmer all over. Thanks for sharing this beauty in the CAS Mix Up gallery too!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the shimmer from the card stock and the gorgeous blues, wonderful design.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.