A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 28 June 2024

Monochrome Christmas and Birthday

This month the Group of Seven Cardmakers chose Monochrome as the technique for our cards.  I opted to do Christmas cards to build up my stash.  The first card I made followed the method in this video.

I stamped and heat embossed the poinsettia in white on red cs, then added colour to the poinsettia with red coloured pencils.  I trimmed the panel, added a red glitter border, added it to a red card base, popped on a white heat embossed sentiment, and embellished with clear gemstones in the centre.

Next up, shades of green:

For this card, I put the stamp in my MISTI and coloured it directly on the stamp with Memento Dew Drop ink pads, stamping and reinking until I was happy with the results.  Trimmed it, mounted it on a dark green card base, and added sparkly embellishments on the berries and a green bow on top of the stems.

And I had to get some blue in here so my third card is all shades of blue, and will go off to my sister in Ontario for her birthday.


I sprayed the background with various blue sprays, then die cut the hexagon out of it in three places.  I stamped various script and postmark stamps on the hexagon pieces I'd cut, and sponged around their edges.  I then cut hexagons again from scrap cs - put the scrap ones in first and then the sprayed and stamped ones on top for some dimension.  I created a piece of smooshed blue and die cut the wildflowers, sentiment, and tiny butterflies from that.    

There are lots of ways to make monochromatic cards - head on over to the Group of Seven blog and see all of the cards our Design Team has made.  We'd love to have you link up a card using your favourite method for monochromatic cards.

 





 

Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Penny Black poinsettia, unknown sentiment
Ink - ColorBox white
Paper - red cs, red glitter cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - white embossing powder, coloured pencils, Spellbinders square dies, clear gemstones

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Penny Black greenery, Purple Onion sentiment
Ink - Memento Dew Drops Northern Pine, Bamboo Leaves, Cottage Ivy
Paper - light green and dark green cs
Size - A2
Accessories - sparkly stick-ons, green ribbon

Supplies for card 3:
Stamps - various postage and script stamps
Ink - Distress Faded Jeans
Paper - mixed media and off white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Tattered Angels, Perfect Pearls, and Mr. Huey's blue sprays; Gummiapan sentiment die, Poppy Stamps butterfly dies, Tim Holtz wildflowers dies, Spellbinders hexagon die

7 comments:

  1. Three gorgeous cards, I love how you added the different greens for the mistletoe and your blue card is a stunner - your sister will love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three lovely examples of monochromatic Susan! Your poinsettia card all in red is so big and beautiful - love the sparkle added with the glitter frame! Your mistletoe and holly sprig tied with a ribbon is so pretty in the greens with the shimmery berries and i love the postal theme stampings on the hexagons for your sisters card all in blue! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poinsettia card is stunning, Susan! The greenery worked perfectly with the direct to stamp inking! Two beautiful Christmas cards! And all those blues worked together beautifully for the third card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three distinct monochromatic cards each with it's own special look and all three are beautiful, Great job of showing the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three wonderful monochromatic cards Susan. Painting onto coloured card stock is not easy as it's usually not water-friendly paper, but you nailed it with your poinsettia card. Using a silhouette stamp for your holly is a great way to add your shades of green. So pretty with the sparkle of the berries. And your third is so artsy with the sprayed background with stamping on those hexagons. The die-cuts add lots of texture too. Three great ways to create monochromatic cards, my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true, Susan, and I love the way you made your mono designs! Two stunning Christmas makes and a wowza blue number for your sister! Your attention to details really makes the mono design element shine! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  7. All beautiful! Love your sister’s bday card!… not just because it’s 💙, but the design is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.