A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 5 June 2024

A Framed Cat and a Pulled String Flower

A card for the Inkspirational Challenge "Word Prompt: Frame":

The image is watercoloured and the pierced frame is die cut three times and stacked together to give dimension.

It's a Penny Black stamp so I'm also adding it to the Penny Black Saturday Challenge.

For the Color Hues Challenge "Blue and Yellow", I made a card with the pulled string technique:


I followed the method in this videoIn the video she used watercolour paints. For mine, I used acrylic paints.

I dipped the top end of my piece of string in blue acrylic paint and the bottom end in yellow. I really liked the resulting mixture of colour. The shape makes me think of a calla lily.

I masked it and then stamped randomly inked text around it with Distress Shabby Shutters. And then stamped and heat embossed my sentiment. So my mixed mediums are acrylic paint and ink.

I bordered in yellow and popped it up on a blue card base.

  ...or Hedgie 








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Penny Black cat, unknown sentiment
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne
Paper - watercolour paper, cream cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - watercolour paints, MFT pierced square frame die

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Hero Arts sentiment, Wendy Vecchi script stamp
Ink - ColorBox Royal Blue and yellow
Paper - mixed media, blue, and light green cs
Size - A2
Accessories - string, blue and yellow acrylic paint, clear embossing powder, fun foam

9 comments:

  1. I did indeed think your focal image was a lily, and was fascinated to read about the string technique which has escaped my attention until now. The subtle text background and lovely framing set it off beautifully! Love the texture of the card base, too. Thanks for sharing with us at Color Hues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you used a Calla Lily stamp when I first saw your card in the gallery, but am absolutely intrigued by the method you used with a piece of string to get this look Susan...it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! Thanks so much for sharing this lovely, lovely card with us at the Color Hues Challenge!! Hugs. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute PB cat image Susan and beautifully coloured and shown off so well with the wonderful dimensional frame. The pulled inked string gives a brilliant effect on the second, and before I saw what you had written I had 'cala lily' in my head too, and the blue and yellow with the yellowy green script background looks great. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable thank you card with that fun cat!! Made me smile. I love your pulled string with acrylic paints ... beautiful flower! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a cute little kitty with her bundle of flowers! Pretty white framing and lovely vertical sentiment Susan - and how fun is that pulled string card?!! I tried that once on an SCS challenge and really need to play with it again! Thanks for sharing with us at Inkspirational: frame! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the resulting two tone calla lily, Susan! And the cat delivering flowers is so fun! What a sweet expression non his face!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful cards. The cat is too cute. Great results with the pull string technique. I’ve seen this technique ages ago, but never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! A duo of fabulous cards! Your cat-in-a-frame is absolutely adorable; thank you for sharing this cutie over at Inkspirational.
    Your pulled string technique iris...ohmystars! Gorgeous! Thank you for joining us at Colour Hues!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I've seen videos of this technique but have not tried it. This is absolutely amazing!!! Love that texty script too. Wonderful card for our challenge! Thanks for playing with Color Hues.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.