A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 28 May 2024

Simplified Bokeh

The Group of Seven Cardmakers are trying a simplified bokeh technique, following the instructions in this video "Bokeh Made Easy".




I liberally wet my watercolour paper and then dropped various shades of blue and purple watercolour paints into the wet paint.  Once dry, I tried stencilling different sized circles over it with white pigment ink but I think my ink was too dry to be effective.  So I put a blob of white acrylic paint on my craft mat and thinned it down with water, and then sponged that through the circles stencil, overlapping some of the circles.

My piece was large enough to make two cards.  One with a dandelion circle die over the bokeh and a blue glitter cs circle under it.  The other has white acrylic paint splattered on the bokeh and a winter cabin / trees die on top.

There's lots more inspiration from the rest of the Group of Seven cardmakers.  Feel free to join us by trying the technique and linking up your card.








Supplies:
Stamps - Hero Arts Merry Christmas
Ink - Distress Faded Jeans
Paper - white cs, blue glitter cs, watercolour paper
Size - first one is 4.75" square, second one is A2
Accessories - watercolour paints, white acrylic paint, SSS Twinkle Flower die, Memory Box Countryside die, Lil Inkers stitched circle dies, Spellbinders

7 comments:

  1. We both love these colors of blues, Susan, and I really love the way the Boken with these colors comes to life with your framing and die cuts! (And schparkle!) Beautiful! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love your bokeh circles Susan - I need to remember to use some bigger circles if I ever do this again!!?? Good save using the watered down white acrylic paint - it looks wonderful against the blue background! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty background for both the dandelions and the village! Love the glitter frame with the first and the snowy splatters with the second!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blue with bokeh make for a very wintry snow scene also a perfect background for your dandelions. Great cards

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two beautiful bokeh cards Susan, and I love the blues and purples, and a great idea to thin down some white acrylic paint to strengthen the white, and both the dandelion circle and winter cabin and trees work briliantly over the piece you created. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two great cards and how nice you got a twofer. This is a fun technique and I hope everyone tries it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous bokeh background and versatile for any occasion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.