A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 29 January 2024

Winter Wonderland and a Single Snowflake

I chose a lovely winter village scene for Sparkles Christmas Challenge "Winter Wonderland".


The image is coloured with plain old inexpensive watercolour paints - they aren't as vibrant as a lot of the newer watercolour mediums but I think the softness suits the wintery scene. I added glitter to all the rooftops and trees and along the snow lines. I cut the image out with an oval die and bordered with dark silver cs.

Christmas Cards All Year Round has an image of a Christmas sweater with one large gold snowflake on the front of it.  It inspired me to make this card with a gold snowflake.

I started by using gesso to stencil the snowflake on black cs to create a resist for my stamping, then stamped the Christmas script background stamp over it in white. I replaced the snowflake stencil and sponged gold ink through it quite lightly so that some of the white gesso showed through.  I trimmed the panel and popped it up with fun foam on a platinum shimmer card base.

Please take a copy of our badge  Grab our badge!








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Art-Kure Castle Combe Village, SU sentiment
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black
Paper - watercolour paper, dark silver and natural cs
Size - A2
Accessories - watercolour paints, SU label punches, Nesties oval dies, dimensionals, glitter

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - text background stamp
Ink - gold and white ink
Paper - black cs, platinum shimmer cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - snowflake stencil, white gesso, fun foam

5 comments:

  1. I love your beautifully watercoloured winter scene of Castle Combe, which isn't too far from where we live, and it looks perfect with just the simple oval frame and sentiment plate in the dark silver. The large stencilled snowflake is so pretty and love the look of it white gessoed and then the added gold ink sponged over the top, and it stands out brilliantly against the black background with the white script, and placed on the platinum shimmer card which suits it very well Susan. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant. I love the scenic card. Thanks for joining us at Sparkles Christmas Challenge. Love Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that winter village at Castle Comb, It's time I pulled out some of my Art Kure stamps, and your snowflake on black with the script is stunning - so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful winter scene - the glitter finishes it perfectly.

    Thanks for joining us at the Sparkles Christmas Challenge.

    Helen x
    DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your winter scene is so peaceful, Susan. Love it with the oval frame. And gorgeous snowflake card. The black background adds some drama and look awesome with the white stamped script. Your snowflake is so pretty in gold and there's lots of sparkle. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.