A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 28 January 2024

Alcohol Inks with Gilding Flakes

The Group of Seven cardmakers are combining alcohol inks and gilding flakes this month.  There are a couple of different methods over on the Group of Seven blog.  Here are the two cards I was most happy with at the end.


 

I used the technique at the end of this video (around the 16 minute mark).  I built up alcohol inks on Yupo for the first one and glossy cs for the second, and pressed gilding flakes into the sticky parts of the alcohol ink that hadn't quite dried.  On the first card I used gold gilding flakes and on the second, silver.  I die cut hearts and the "love" sentiment from the best sections and created my cards.

Here are close-ups of the hearts:

I did try the other method, using glue on the lines of the alcohol ink cells or blotches but didn't like the results I got, though some of our other members really did.  You can see their cards over on Group of Seven.

I also tried a quick squirt of spray adhesive to attach gilding flakes but wasn't crazy about the results though did turn it into this card:

If you're interested and end up giving this technique a try, we'd love to have you link up your results over at Group of Seven as inspiration for others!








Supplies:
Stamps - SU cherish, SSS love you
Ink - red and pink ink
Paper - Yupo, glossy cs, white cs
Size - 4.75" square (first and third), 6x3.25" (second)
Accessories - various pink and red alcohol inks, gold gilding flakes (first card), silver gilding flakes (second and third), rubbing alcohol, spray adhesive, various heart dies, heart wreath die, love die, SU narrow hearts embossing folder, small label die, square stitched die

9 comments:

  1. A trio of sweet cards. Good save on the third card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great cards, they were even prettier IRL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, wow, Susan, what a clever designer you are to turn your results into Valentines! Great CASlicious cards! I would never have thought of adhering the flakes with spray, so thanks for sharing that pretty card, too! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gilded pieces made beautiful hearts, Susan! And the hearts made beautiful CAS valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did great getting the gilding flakes to adhere to the sticky bits on your AI panels, Susan. They are such pretty shades of red and pink and I LOVE the dry embossed hearts on the first card. The spray adhesive worked great on your last card ... great idea. I'm sure there are lots of adhesives that would work with the gilding flakes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My..Three Beautiful Shiny Alcohol Ink with Gilding Flakes Valentine Cards, Susan. TFS all 3 cards and I really liked how you tried different methods on how to attach Gilding Flakes. The spray adhesive was a great idea. TFS all 3 of your beauties, my friend. Love and Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of your cards turned out great and you used this technique to make lovely Valentines. I never thought of using spray adhesive but it would be easy to do and that card looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous cards with the AI & gold hearts, Susan!! Thanks for the inspiration with this technique!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely red hearts accented with the gilding flakes both in gold and silver Susan! Even the spray adhesive resulted in pretty guilding! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.