A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 22 January 2024

A Nuthatch Birthday and an Embossed Birthday

My Time to Craft wants to see something new in our stash.  I love bird stamps, and I feed the birds in my backyard.  One of my favourites of the ones who come to my feeders is the nuthatch so when I saw this nuthatch stamp I had to have it.

It's stamped and watercoloured, with a bit of light text stamping around it.  I bordered it with a bit of mottled sand-coloured cs.  I created another background layer with the sentiment stamped at the bottom of it and some twine wrapped around it.

Seize the Birthday wants wet or dry embossing.  I used embossing paste which I assume counts as a form of wet embossing.  And Inkspirational wants to see stencils.

I sponged various Distress inks through the harlequin stencil onto mixed media cs, cleaned off the stencil, replaced it, and then added clear embossing paste over it. I stamped the butterfly and watercoloured it with the same colours. Then fussy cut it. I popped the background up on fun foam on a rustic card base and added the butterfly and the sentiment.

My Time To Craft!

 








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - AALL & Create nuthatch, SU sentiment, text stamp
Ink - Versafine Clair
Paper - watercolour paper, off white cs, mottled tan dp
Size - A2
Accessories - natural twine, watercolour paints

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Penny Black butterfly, SU sentiment
Ink - various Distress inks
Paper - mixed media cs, rustic cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Spellbinders tag die, TCW harlequin stencil, Dreamweaver clear embossing paste, fun foam

7 comments:

  1. Your nuthatch is so pretty, Susan. And I love the beautiful way you've framed it with the text stamping and mottled card. The twine adds a special touch. LOVE your butterfly card ... gorgeous, soft colours that are so pretty for the stenciled background with the butterfly in the same colours but darker. Great work, my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a prettily coloured bird Susan and the paper frames it beautifully, and love the shape of the butterfly on the second, and the harlequin stencilling in coordinating colours suits it perfectly..two brilliant cards! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute bird - love the background as well. Thanks for sharing with us at MTTC :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The nuthatch is so sweet, you have coloured it beautifully. On your second card your background is stunning, I love all the soft muted colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that diamond stenciling behind your beautiful butterfly Susan - and the nuthatch is so beautiful - we have them at our feeders too! Thanks for joining us at Inkspirational: Stencils! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful duo. Your choice of backgrounds are perfect for both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love the nuthatch, Susan! We have two varieties that come to our feeders and I love watching them perch upside down! And the butterfly is fantastic too with the varied colored stenciling in the background!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.