A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 3 October 2023

Another Santa Card and Some "Snowflakes"

Santa is always a great theme for Christmas cards so here's another one, this time for Christmas Cards All Year Round "For a Male" and Jingle Belles "A Christmas Story" (this card has as its sentiment the last line from Twas the Night Before Christmas and of course it has Santa flying away as he does at the end of the story).

I used a technique I learned from Karen Dunbrook of tearing many strips of scrap paper to use as masks, starting at the bottom with the first sponging of ink, and then moving up the card. It creates a beautiful cloudy sky. Once my background was dry, I stamped my images. Then once they were dry, I splattered with a bit of white acrylic paint. I mounted it on the card base and stamped the sentiment.

My second card today has some humour to it - a special request from one of my friends who comes to my Christmas card fundraiser sale (what he actually asked for were some "snarky" cards - not my style but this might please him).  It's for ABC Christmas Challenge "S for Snowman and T for Three of a Kind" - I've covered off both of them with my three snowmen all dressed in blue:


I saw this image on some cards my friend Bonnie made and she kindly stamped off a few for me and mailed them to me.   I watercoloured them, keeping them all dressed in blue so that they are more "Three of a Kind" for the challenge.  Then bordered with black cs before adding to the card base.


 Grab our badge!   








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Frantic Stamper Santa, Tim Holtz trees, Technique Junkies sentiment
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne, various mauve and blue Distress inks
Paper - white cs
Size - 6x4.25"
Accessories - white acrylic paint

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Rubber Cottage "Snowflakes"
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne
Paper - watercolour paper, off white and black cs
Size - A2
Accessories - watercolour paints

8 comments:

  1. LOVE the sky you've created with sponging torn edges. Makes an amazing card with your silhouette Santa and reindeer with the village below. So cool!! And your snowmen are so fun ... made me laugh. I remember Groucho Marx being on TV when I was VERY little!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your torn paper background looks great for Santa and those snowmen, oh my gosh, they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two more beautiful Christmas cards Susan, and I love the wonderful scene you've created on the first with the silhouette trees and Santa and sleigh, and a brilliant sentiment to finish, then the really fun snowmen, and looking good all dressed in tones of blue. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder about these snarky snowmen! I think it's time to stamp some more and I've borrowed the stamp again. Love how you dressed them all in blue! The sky on the first card is awesome! I love how Santa and his reindeer are flying off into those clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing scenic card and of course you had me with the last line of Clement C Moore! So pleased you could join our Jingle Belles fun this time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your torn edged scene, so pretty with Santa flying across the sky and your Snowflakes are hilarous ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two terrific Christmas twofers. Love that amazing sky!… need to give that a try. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both cards are fantastic, Susan!
    The black Christmas silhouette is beautiful, but your cloudy sky is absolutely gorgeous! You did an excellent job creating the clouds using your DIY masks and white acrylic paints! The subtle colors of ink you've used are beautiful too!
    The trio of snowmen on the second card are just so funny and delightful! Your friend is going to love the card!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.