A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 28 October 2023

Stencilling over Heat Embossing

The Group of Seven Cardmakers are trying out a technique seen in a Gina K 5 minute card video from a couple of years ago.  It's called Stencilling over Heat Embossing.  I'm definitely not as fast as Gina K as each card took me quite a bit longer than 5 minutes!  But I do like the end results!

First up, a card with a holly theme:


I stamped and heat embossed the tiny snowflakes background stamp.  Then laid the stencil on top and sponged over with two shades of green ink.  After removing the stencil, I gently wiped a paper towel over the panel to remove any ink sitting on top of the heat embossed snowflakes.  Bordered with green shimmery cs, added a sentiment stamped on a separate strip of white cs, and embellished with red stick-on pearls for the berries.

I did a second Christmas card with the same technique:


Because my stencil was larger, I went with a more detailed background stamp - in this case, a collage of Christmas greetings.  I used a poinsettia stencil made for me by my friend Loll on her Cricut.  I used two shades of red ink, trimmed it down, bordered with black, added a sentiment heat embossed on black, and embellished first with gold Stickles (but I didn't like the look so dabbed most of it off) and then with yellow Liquid Pearls.

There are lots more examples from the Group of Seven Cardmakers over on our group blog.  Feel free to make a card using the technique and link it up there, but be aware it's not a challenge blog - the entries are for sharing and inspiration only.








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Rubbernecker snowflake background, A Muse sentiment
Ink - Versamark, Distress Rustic Wilderness and Evergreen Bough
Paper - green shimmer and white cs
Size - 6x4.25"
Accessories - Dreamweaver holly stencil, white embossing powder, red pearls

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - unknown Christmas text background stamp, Make an Impression sentiment
Ink - Versamark, Distress Candied Apple and Festive Berries
Paper - white and black cs
Size - A2
Accessories - white embossing powder, homemade stencil, gold Stickles, buttercup Liquid Pearls


10 comments:

  1. Two wonderful examples of this technique, Susan!! Just love the bitty snowflakes showing through the stenciled holly on card one and the text on your poinsettia looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your white embossed snowflakes look SO CUTE over that pretty stenciled sprig of holly Susan - and what a wonderful big poinsettia stencil on your second with the lovely collage of Christmas greetings background! (Did I see that same stamping on Christine's ornament card??!!) Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tiny little snowflakes look wonderful behind the holly sprig and we both chose the same background Christmas collage :) I used mine with the ornament stencil. Love both cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect picks of background stamps to go with these stencils, Susan! Love the tiny snowflakes with the holly! And the Christmas collage works beautifully with the large poinsettia stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cards Susan. LOVE that holly stencil with the white embossed snowflakes ... so pretty! Your large poinsettia really shows off the beautiful text on the second card. Love the yellow pearls center. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had great background stamps to use with this technique. I love the snowflakes and that pretty script you can actually read. Two beautiful cards, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely technique and looks fun to do, and I love your pretty silhouette holly with the white embossed snowflakes and stars, and then the larger poinsettia with the bolder embossed background, but both work brilliantly Susan. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tiny snowflakes were a great choice as an embossed background under the sweet holly, Susan! I love the CASlicious design. I also love that stylized poinsettia that Loll cut for you ~ another great design choice for this technique! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two beautiful Christmas cards using this months Group or 7 Technique. Your holly is so sweet and I love your added snowflakes and red berries. Your large stenciled poinsettia was perfect for the heat embossed larger font Christmas sentiments background stamp. TFS both your beauties, my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both cards look fantastic, Susan! The tiny snowflakes create a lovely pattern for the holly, and the unique collage of Christmas greetings adds a special touch to the poinsettia. The red and yellow pearls give a festive shine to the cards. Love them both!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.