A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 11 November 2021

A "Merry" Card and a Thank You Card

Two cards from me today.

First up for Just Us Girls "Word Week - Merry", Jingle Belles "Ornament", and Christmas Kickstart Challenge "Christmas Snippets":

I've been trying to use up leftovers and scraps!  This card started with the scrap of navy background that had been sprayed with a shimmery white spray.  It was just the right size to use under an ornament die cut (cut out of a shimmery white cs scrap).  Using some more of the shimmery white cs scraps, I cut the word "merry" and the branch of holly.  I also cut "merry" out of some navy cs and layered them for a slight shadow effect.  I put it all together on a kraft cardbase, hanging the ornament from the "e" in "merry" with sparkly twine.

My second card is for The Paper Players "Give Thanks" challenge.  A talented friend made me some new cushion covers for the throw cushions on my couch so I wanted to make a thank you card for her that depicted what she'd made.

I stamped the couch onto decorative paper, then fussy cut it, and stamped it again onto red dp and fussy cut just the cushion, layering that over the full couch.  I stencilled a bit of pattern onto cs to ground the couch, trimmed that piece down, popped it up on fun foam on the card base, layered the couch onto it with foam tape, and stamped and die cut the sentiment (also popped up with foam tape).

Challenges:

Just Us Girls

 

Christmas Kickstart Challenge

  

Jingle Belles "Holiday Ornaments"

The Paper Players


 







Supplies for card 1:
Paper - white shimmer, navy, kraft cs
Size - A2
Accessories - PTI merry die, SSS holly ornament, Spellbinders circle die, Memory Box holly vine, white shimmer spray, white sparkly twine

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Poppy Stamps sofa, Emerald Creek thank you
Ink - various Distress inks, Archival Jet Black
Paper - scraps of decorative paper, cream cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Memory Box Texture Flourish stencil, Poppy Stamps sofa die, Spellbinders oval die, fun foam, foam tape

15 comments:

  1. Susan, Love both of your cards! I love the navy and white ornament with a bit of sparkle, and your couch looks very inviting with the stenciled background. Thanks for being with us at Just Us Girls and The Paper Players.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, both of your cards are perfect! I love the cozy couch and I know your friend will appreciate this thoughtful card! So happy you joined my challenge at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the colours and simplicity of your die cuts on the first card and what a great card for your friend. The paper pieced sofa is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you hung your pretty ornament from your die cut Merry and your non-traditional Christmas colors. Your 2nd thank you card was so clever and creative for your sweet friend who made you couch cushions. I am sure she will love it. TFS my friend. Love and Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The card using scraps is just lovely. I like the blue shadow under the Merry and the ornament is so pretty. What a great thank you card for the friend that did the cushions for you. This is so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you've grounded the couch with the stenciling, Susan! A perfect way to thank your friend! You bits and pieces all fit together beautifully for the Christmas card! I love the blue background of the ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a thoughtful second card and a contemporary and very classy first one Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great use of your leftovers to create the beautiful ornament card Susan! And I LOVE the couch with the pretty stenciled background. What a special thank you card for your friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely card Susan - I love that you dangled the ornament from the sentiment. Clever!

    Hugs

    Di xx (GD at Christmas Kickstart Challenge)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two lovely designs Susan - pretty ornament hanging from the sweet Merry along side the holly vine - and your couch is so sweet, perfect for a thank you for your friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love both of your snippets cards! What a sweet thankyou card and such a witty way of saying thank you for cushions. Thanks for sharing your beautiful bauble at Christmas Kickstart, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. what an amazing card by any standard, but an especially great example of both the CAS aesthetic and also of a kraft + white +navy color palette! so happy to have this in our "ornamental" gallery at JINGLE BELLES! (ps: i adore that cool couch card, as well!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a striking ornament ... I love how you hung it from the text ... so very glad you shared your *ornamental* creation with us at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love both of these cards - particularly the Christmas bauble one.
    Hugs, Sarn x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.