A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 2 April 2020

Spring Blossoms

Thinking of everyone staying at home to help battle Covid-19 and hoping all are well.  I personally am very grateful that I have crafts and hobbies to help me pass the time in a rich and varied way.  And I'm also grateful to be connected to you via the internet and our blogs.

Spring is my favourite season so I am very happy to be hosting this month's CAS Watercolour challenge "Spring Flowers".  Hopefully we can all find joy in these troubled times by seeing the earth coming back to life (though I realize this isn't the case for our southern hemisphere friends).


I, like several of the other CAS Watercolour DT members, went with spring blossoms.


I used a very old stamp that I've had for years - so nice to bring it out.  It is stamped with my new Versafine Clair Fallen Leaves ink - it gives a very good sharp image even on watercolour paper, and once dry, is waterproof.  It's a very dark brown but looks black in the photo.

I watercoloured the tiny blossoms with two shades of pink, using a very fine paintbrush.  It's hard to get shading in such small images but I did my best.  Likewise with the branch.  I splattered with some of the brown watercolour paint.

The sentiment is stamped in the same Fallen Leaves, then the panel trimmed, and a thin strip of dark pink cs added to the right to balance with the blossoms.  It's popped up on fun foam on a rustic cs base and then I used Liquid Pearls for the centres of the blossoms.

Here's a close-up of the image that shows the shading and Liquid Pearls better:


Please come and join us and fill the CAS Watercolour challenge with lovely spring flowers.  I want to stress that we are looking for SPRING flowers - not just any flowers.  So please think snowdrops, daffodils, tulips, crocuses, apple and cherry blossom, dogwood, etc.  And don't forget that you must use some kind of watercolour and must keep the card clean and simple.   There is lots more inspiration from the Design Team and this month's Guest Designer, Vicky (Crafting Clare's Paper Moments).










Supplies:
Stamps - Rubber Stampede Cherry Blossoms, Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Ink - Versafine Clair Fallen Leaves
Paper - watercolour paper, dark pink cs, PTI Rustic Cream cs
Size - A2
Accessories - watercolour paints, Buttercup Liquid Pearls, fun foam

15 comments:

  1. You have reminded me that I have this stamp Susan and it looks amazing paired with that sentiment! Your colouring is wonderful too - a great card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how beautiful Susan...love the splattered look it has.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little Asian flare to this lovely branch - beautiful coloring and love the splatter! A great spring challenge for us Susan! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect challenge for this month, my friend! Love your blossoming branch and your shading is perfect! I love the rustic background and the thin strip of pink on one side of the design piece! Fantastic card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully watercolored blossoms. Fab job shading such small images. Great splattering too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful sweet pretty cherry blossoms, Susan. I love how you got such clean detailed image with your Versafine Clair Fallen Leaves ink. Also your shading turned out beautifully on your tiny blossoms. I will be playing in your fun challenge. Love Spring too and especially cherry blossoms:-) Stay safe and creative, my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. the cherry blossoms are looking wonderful at the moment, the perfect spring flower to choose. great colouring BTW :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cherry blossoms are so pretty Susan! I do love those gorgeous trees in bloom this time of year. YOur shades of pink with the brown branch, sentiment and splatters are such a beautiful colour combination. I do love pink with brown! And your closeup really shows the beautiful, shiny gold of the liquid pearl centers. Great challenge Susan! We are going to have so many gorgeous spring flower cards in the gallery! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love spring also Susan and of course flowers are my favourite... we don't actually have spring in the tropics but I grew up down south with all the spring bulbs with jonquils growing wild... your card is just gorgeous, the spring blossoms on the fruit trees make a glorious show, and you've brought them alive for me in pretty pink, have a happy day and stay safe, hugs Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see the shading in your tiny little blossoms perfectly Susan and they are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! Thank you for such a fun and uplifting challenge this month...I think we all needed it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for choosing such a great theme this month Susan - I have quite a collection of spring flowers because I LOVE seeing the earth come alive after the winter here in the UK. Your cherry blossom is absolutely beautiful - the colour so vibrant but the delicacy of the flowers preserved. I love that thin strip of pink at the side too. Lovely to be guesting with you this month! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delicate and pretty card. The water colouring looks wonderful and loving the design of your fabulous CAS card x.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful cherry blossoms, Susan! I love the color combo (dark brown and pink). The fine spatters, the vertical sentiment, and the dark pink strip all contribute to the beauty of the card!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous Blossom! I love vertical sentiment and strip of pink! I agree we are lucky to have our hobby and fab crafting community:) Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so sweet, with the delicate cherry blossom flowers. Love the splatters of course, and the red edging too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.