A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 4 April 2020

Guest Designing for 52 Christmas Card Challenge

I'm thrilled to be Guest Designing for Two Different Challenges, but both of them go live on the same day so I have to subject you to two blog posts today!

This one is for 52 Christmas Card Challenge.  This week is a sketch:


Those of you who know me will know that I struggle with sketch challenges!  But I saw this one as a great opportunity to get out some decorative paper.  Here's my card:

I have a drawer full of scraps of decorative papers and the sketch lent itself to using up some small bits.

Steps:
  • I started with a white card base, added the paler blue piece (it was almost the perfect size - just had to trim off about 1/4").  
  • I had some scraps from a beautiful blue paper that had a border of silver foil snowflakes across one side - I die cut a square out of that that included one whole snowflake and also cut a smaller circle out of the solid blue area.  Heat embossed the sentiment in silver on the circle.
  • Cut the next size up of the circle dies out of a scrap of silver foil cs and used it to border the blue circle.
  • Cut some tiny snowflakes out of the silver foil cs and added them as the three small banners below the circle in the sketch.
I then spent a very frustrating time photographing the card - anything shiny like the silver foil is so darn hard to photograph.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others do with this sketch over at the 52 Christmas Card Challenge

 








Supplies:
Stamps - unknown sentiment
Ink - ColorBox silver
Paper - white cs, various scraps of dp, silver foil (mirri) cs
Size - 5" square
Accessories - Spellbinders square and circle dies, SSS and Cheery Lynn small snowflake dies

11 comments:

  1. quelle jolie carte Susan, très poétique avec la fraîcheur du bleu réchauffé par cette touche d'or, merci d’être notre guest designer cette semaine, biz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you on sketch challenges but what a wonderful take on this one. I’m such a fan of silver at Christmas and this one just shines. Beautiful use of the designer paper and the silver snowflakes for your banner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan your card is amazing. I love all the snowflakes! Thank you for being our guest designer this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! LOVE the blue and silver, Susan. And the papers you've used are beautiful! Congrats on being Guest Designer at 52 Christmas Card Challenge! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan this card is beautiful and you have interpreted the sketch to perfection. Many congratulations on guesting and what a stunner of a card x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a Gorgeous Christmas card, Susan using the sketch. I love how you used so many scraps. Thank you for taking the time to get a beautiful photo too. Stay creative and safe, my friend. Love and Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have captured the shine beautifully, Susan! What a perfect use of some of that patterned paper that goes beautifully with the silver snowflakes! Congratulations on your Guest Designer spot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on guest designing at 52 Christmas Card Challenge, Susan!
    This is a great take on the sketch! Love the sparkle and shimmer all over and the beautiful silver snowflakes!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on being Guest Designer for 52 Christmas Card Challenge.
    Great take on the sketch and love the idea of using DP :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on GD! You nailed it. Beautiful card. Beautiful colour! 💙

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally love this card....fab.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.