A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 3 October 2019

Winter Cabin

I'm hosting this month's CAS Christmas Card Challenge, and I've chosen "Winter Scene" as the theme.  I live in the Pacific Northwest so more often than not, my typical winter scene is grey and rainy.  To make up for this, I love to make what I call true winter scenes - snowy, sparkly, frosty!

 
I used a stamp I have had almost since I very first started stamping.  It's such a sweet little scene - and ideal for CAS cards.


I started by dry embossing my top layer with an old Cuttlebug embossing folder (I'm really in the mood to get more use out of my older supplies!).  Then I took an exacto knife and a ruler and cut out the centre of the embossed panel.  The stamp fits perfectly into the opening it creates.

I stamped the image on a scrap of white cs and then sponged the sky in a new ink that I wanted to try out - the colour is called Winter so I thought it would be perfect for a winter sky (but once done I decided it's a bit too turquoise so won't use it for skies again).  I coloured the rest of the image with coloured pencils and taped the piece behind the aperture.  I went over the roof and the ground with a Quickie glue pen and added glitter.  Here's a close-up of the lovely sparkle:


Please come and join us at CAS Christmas - you know you really need to get going on your Christmas cards!!  There is lots of inspiration from the rest of the Design Team and October's Guest Designer, Lyn (Lyn's Paper Petunia).






Supplies:
Stamps - Stampendous Snowy Retreat
Ink - Archival Jet Black, Mama Elephant Winter
Paper - white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - coloured pencils, Cuttlebug embossing folder, Quickie glue pen, SU Dazzling Diamonds glitter



10 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet winter scene, Susan! Love all the sparkle and how perfectly it fits in this embossed frame! I need to look and see if I still have this embossing folder. Great challenge, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I love the way you cut away the center of that beautiful embossing folder and nestled your little scene in it. Beautifully colored too. I never think to use folders so thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's such a sweet winter scene Susan. Great effect with the embossing folder, you cut the window perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful stamp to keep. This is beautiful. Love the framing with the EF and the glittery snow details. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it great to go back to some old favourite stamps and folders and use them in a different way?? Look how much our stamping has changed since we started and we can now look at those older supplies in a whole new way (or ways!). This is a really sweet winter scene, Susan. I love the colouring ... even with the bright turquoise sky. It's such a feel good image. The sparkle from the glitter adds the perfect finishing touch, along with the gorgeous dry embossed design. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous glittery scene, Susan! Thanks for hosting a fun challenge and thanks for the inspiration! I like your turquoisy sky - your trees coordinate with it perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sparkly, little winter scene, Susan! Your coloring and the glitter make the scene look so pretty. The dry embossed frame is beautiful, and the size of the window is just perfect!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dry embossing really draws your eyes into the adorable little scene. Wonderful CAS card Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a lovely winter scene, Susan. Thanks for the great challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.