A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 11 October 2019

Autumnal Thanks and Masculine CAS

A couple of cards for a couple of challenges today.

First up, for The Color Throwdown and The Flower Challenge:

  

I'm going to friends for Thanksgiving dinner this weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving) and I  will need a card to thank them so the autumnal colours of the Color Throwdown are perfect.


The background was created by smooshing various Distress inks on watercolour paper. When dry, I laid the Harlequin stencil over it, then sprayed with water, immediately removed the stencil, waited 10 seconds, and then blotted with paper towel. Again when dry, I stamped with a bit of text.

The flower is stamped and watercolour with Distress inks, then fussy cut. The detail of the stamens almost disappeared when I watercoloured the flower, so I went back in with a brown marker and filled them in.

And then switching back to Christmas, a card for The Male Room's CAS challenge.


I struggle with masculine cards so am happy to have done this Christmas one:

I used a technique called "Black Ice" that I learned from a tutorial over at SCS last year.  I took piece of silver foil cs and lightly dragged my black Staz-on pad down it to create some streaks.  I then stamped the tree with the black Staz-On and then heat set just to be sure I wouldn't smear it.  Then I lightly dragged a Versamark pad over it in the same direction as the black streaks, covered with clear embossing powder, and heat set it.

I trimmed the panel and popped it up on fun foam on a white cardbase.  I added a white die cut sentiment and lots of clear gemstones.

It's far shinier in real life - just very hard to photograph!  It would have been perfect for The Male Room's previous challenge ("Use Embellishments") but I had missed the link deadline. 






Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - PTI sentiment, TH flower, unknown text stamp
Ink - various Distress inks
Paper - watercolour paper, white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - watercolour paints, brown Tombow marker, Harlequin stencil, fun foam

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - unknown tree stamp
Ink - StazOn black, Versamark
Paper - white cs, silver foil cs
Size - A2
Accessories - clear embossing powder, clear gemstones, TH merry die, fun foam




10 comments:

  1. Wow Susan! Outstanding job on both of these. Love the autumn colors of your thank you as well as the wonderful background you created. The Christmas one is just super! I tired that technique once and had a time getting the ink not to smear. Love the clear embellishment on the tree. Amazing cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two gorgeous cards using very different techniques for a Thanksgiving Thank you and Masculine Christmas card. TFS your beauties and descriptions of your creative steps. my friend. Happy Thanksgiving, Susan. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two gorgeous cards indeed!!, love the rich colors of your Autumn card and the subtle script on your background panel, your flower looks even more beautiful against it.
    Thank you for playing along with us at THE FLOWER CHALLENGE.
    Hugs.
    Maria/DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both cards are wonderful Susan, I must admit that Autumn card is a stunner. the colours are out of this world gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Fall colors on this beautiful thank you card, Susan! I'm sure the card will be as much appreciated as the Thanksgiving dinner. Love the black ice tree! So masculine yet elegant. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both are wonderful, Susan, but WOW! Love the black ice card... perfect masculine card. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two fabulous cards, Susan! I love the beautiful shades of orange, and the warmth and depth of the background of the first card. The second card is a cool masculine holiday card! The Black Ice technique worked so well with your winter background. I would check out the SCS tutorial and love to try the technique.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful first card and love how you did the background and that pretty flower. Wow to the masculine card, absolutely stunning x.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are so beautiful, but your Christmas card is amazing, you should definitely make more masculine cards, you do them so well. Thank you so much for joining us in our Stay CAS challenge at The Male Room this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.

    Faith The Male Room DT

    The Male Room
    themaleroomchallengeblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two fabulous cards Susan! Your thanks for your friends invite to Thanksgiving dinner is gorgeous. Love the deep oranges. The ghosted stenciling looks fantastic, as does the over-stamping of text. Your flower is gorgeous and the colours are perfect with your background.

    Fantastic way to us the black ice technique with the Christmas tree and rhinestone ornaments. Perfect masculine (and very modern and sleek) card! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.