A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 17 December 2018

Penny Black Challenges

A while back, I tried a new technique with Loll Thompson and Christine Alexander.  This card is my second attempt at it (see the first here).


Here's the technique for the poinsettia:

With the stamp in my MISTI, I inked it up with Versamark.  Then shook out a bit of my Brushos colours onto a palette, slightly moistened a paintbrush, picked up some colour and painted it onto the stamp over the Versamark.  When I'd painted the whole stamp, I lightly spritzed with water and stamped onto watercolour paper.

I got way better coverage with this second attempt.  I went in with coloured pencils and added back some of the definition that was lost, stamped the sentiment, added a bit of black splatter and a black border, and embellished the centre of the poinsettia with tiny sequins.

Since the main focus of the project is a Penny Black image, I'm linking it up to two Penny Black challenges:

Penny Black and More - Traditional Christmas Colours

Penny Black Saturday Challenge - Winter or Christmas






Supplies:
Stamps - Penny Black poinsettia, SU sentiment
Ink - Versamark, Archival Jet Black
Paper - white and black cs, watercolour paper
Size - A2
Accessories - brushos, coloured pencils, tiny sequins



13 comments:

  1. Turned out beautiful. Will try it if I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is BEAUTIFUL, Susan! I have this stamp and I need to give this technique a try on it! Love those tiny sequins in the center, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job with this technique and one I have not tried. Great coverage on this. I do love the way pencil adds color when you need it. Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Susan...guess I need to give this technique a 2nd try as my first wasn't so great! Lovely, lovely card!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I LOVE the vibrant red on this poinsettia Susan. The technique worked so well with this stamp. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Susan, stunning image of the poinsettia. Amazing job with the Versamark and brusho's, such a deep red.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the vibrant colors you achieved, Susan. Your vintage style sentiment is perfect as well as your sequins. TFS my friend. I am itching to use this technique again. You girls have really inspired me. Hugs and Merry Christmas. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and vibrant. Fabulous job with the technique to achieve such amazing results. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous poinsettia, Susan! Love the vibrant brusho colors and the effect of the brusho with versamark ink stamping. The black spatter is a really nice finishing touch!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So artsy, love the effect and such a stunning card X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous poinsettia stamp, gorgeous card.
    Thank you for sharing at Penny Black and more.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a lovely christmas card featuring the beautiful poinsettia! thank you so much for playing along with us at the penny black and more challenge.
    linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful card - fabulous stamping!
    Thanks for playing at the Penny Black Saturday Challenge!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.