A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 11 December 2018

Paper Players Colour Challenge

I love the current Paper Players Colour Challenge as it is traditional Christmas colours plus one other.


Needless to say, I chose blue since it is my favourite colour!


I used a technique I learned from Jill Foster at Penny Black. You need a MISTI for this and must remember to leave the stamp in place till the very end!

I used my mini Distress inks in various browns, reds, and greens to ink up the image, spritzing very lightly before stamping each time. I kept building up the layers of colours till I was happy. I used Distress markers to add the brown tips of the berries and the veins on the leaves.

When it was all dry, I inked up the whole stamp with Versamark, stamped over the watercolouring, and heat embossed with clear powder.

I then used Distress Tumbled Glass (tapped on a palette and slightly watered down) to paint a wash background all around it. The embossing powder acts as a resist for the background so you don't have to worry about the colours of the image running.

I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment with Distress Oxide Vintage Photo - I find the Oxide inks are better for detailed or thinly lined images as they stamp more sharply.

At the end, I splattered with watered down white acrylic paint for snow.

I'm also linking it up over at CAS Mix Up's Emboss Resist challenge.  I have stamping, emboss resist, watercolour wash, and splatter.



Are you a traditional Christmas colour person or non-traditional?





Supplies:
Stamps - Penny Black branches, Northwoods sentiment
Ink - Distress Oxide Vintage Photo, Versamark, various brown, green and red mini Distress inks, Distress Tumbled Glass
Paper - watercolour paper, white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - green and brown Distress markers, clear embossing powder, white acrylic paint, fun foam



12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful water colour effect! Such a lovely winter scene! The snow flecks you've added are just the perfect finish. Thank you for joining us at The Paper Players this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Susan!! I love traditional reds and greens and this image is just perfect in those colors! Lovely, lovely card!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous Susan. Amazing watercolouring of your beautiful leaves and berries. Adding the embossing powder to act as a resist for watercolouring the background is such a great idea. I like traditional colours for Christmas, although I do make a few non-traditional coloured cards that I like as well. :) This is perfect to enter into the CAS Mix Up challenge! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful holly branch, Susan! I love how the wash sets it off and the splatters look like falling snow! This is gorgeous my, friend! I tend to go with traditional colors. But then it's fun to do something nontraditional and unexpected sometimes. Thanks for the tip about stamping with DOX.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Susan, your watercolouring is spectacular and the emboss resist allowed you to create that great watercolour wash background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tecnique has produced a stunning water coloured card, which is absolutley beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so love what you did with this stamp, your results are simply beautiful, love those snow splatters!
    Hope you have a wonderful Merry Christmas for you and yours xx
    Thanks so much for sharing at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Incredible job following Jill’s instructions. Amazing dimension and depth of colours achieved. The snowy splatters is the perfect finishing touch. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have certainly mastered this watercoloring technique, Susan. I love how after watercoloring your image you covered the entire image with versamark and heat embossed with clear EB Powder and then added your light blue wash. Gorgeous my friend. TFS and joining us at CAS Mix Up. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, gorgeous coloring, Susan! I love the shades and depth of the colors you created by building up the layers of inked stamp. The leaves are exquisite! The white acrylic paint splatter makes pretty snowfalls.
    Using the emboss resist technique for the background watercolor wash is something I've been wanting to try! Thanks for your inspiration!
    And thank you for sharing this beauty with us at CAS Mix Up!
    Hideko

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan your watercoloured holly and berries are just beautiful! I love the addition of the splattered snow and the washed blue background makes your festive foliage pop. Thank you for playing along with my colour challenge over at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous Susan! Love the blue wash background and the pretty snowy splatter! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.