A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 2 September 2018

Watercoloured Trees


I'm back, in a state of disbelief that it's already September and I feel so behind with my Christmas card stash for my November sale.  So my card to inspire you to join in with this month's CAS Watercolour challenge is a Christmas one - and luckily this month's theme lends itself perfectly to Christmas cards:


Using my MISTI, I took my Tim Holtz tree stamp and inked it up with various shades of green and brown Distress markers, then spritzed generously with water to get the colours to move and blend, and then stamped onto watercolour paper.  Because I was using the MISTI, I was able to repeat the inking, spritzing, and stamping till I got the watercolour look I wanted.

I trimmed the panel down with a Spellbinders long rectangle die, bordered first with a scrap of dp (that in real life is a perfect match for the tree colours, though the camera didn't see it that way!) and then with brown cs, and popped it up on fun foam on a cream card base.  I did the sentiment on the same brown cs, heat embossing in white, and trimming it into a banner.

Please come and join us at CAS Watercolour and show us how you use a tree in a clean and simple way with some kind of watercolouring.  There is lots of inspiration from the Design Team and our fabulous Guest Designer, Ros (Mikey's Mom).  You have until September 24 to link up your card.





Supplies:
Stamps - Tim Holtz trees, Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Ink - ColorBox White
Paper - watercolour paper, cream and brown cs, Paper Pizazz dp
Size - 5x6.75"
Accessories - Distress Markers (Pine Needles, Iced Spruce, Evergreen Bough, and Gathered Twigs), white embossing powder, Spellbinders long rectangle die, fun foam



13 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS card Susan! I love the way your greens blended for your trees and I love that TH image too...one of my favs! Lovely, lovely card!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The DP sure does frame those gorgeous trees. Love the technique and the artsy and water colour effect is fabulous. Yes where does time go......

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite stamps and I'd never think to use it this way. Thanks for the inspiration! Love the way this turned out, Susan. I may try this with mine. Love how your mat matches it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Susan, I love the shades of green you created using the misti and fits so well with your DP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the watercolor look of your pretty trees, Susan. Your sentiment is perfect and a narrow frame using DSP a wonderful touch. TFS your Christmas Card design, my friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your watercolored trees are so pretty, Susan! The DP frame perfectly matches the colors of the trees and I love that you placed the panel off the center. Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully done Susan! Love your sweet spritzed trio of trees. This makes a great masculine Christmas card! Make sure to join us at CAS Mix Up as well ... this month we are "Inking with Markers". :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You incorporated pattern paper brilliantly for a CAS card. Beautifully inked and stamped trees to match it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh those trees are beautiful!! So very artistic! So happy to be joining you this month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the framing around your beautiful watercolored pines Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These tall trees are beautiful, Susan! I love how the PP looks like you've watercolored it to match the trees! Another beautiful Christmas card, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the look of the tall trees Susan....great holiday card.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous card! I love the beautifully coloured trees and the way you’ve framed them:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.