A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 16 September 2018

Sparkling Tree

Reminder time for CAS Watercolour where the September challenge is "Tree":


For my original Design Team card, I watercoloured the trees.  For this one, I created a watercolour background using Loll Thompson's "splash watercolour" technique (see her video here).


I used three shades of blue Distress Oxide inks to create the background, putting one at a time onto my craft mat and spritzing with water, splashing my mixed media cs into it and then drying with my heat gun.

Once I was happy with the results, I stamped the Penny Black tree and sentiment onto it, trimmed it down, and popped it up on fun foam.  Then I painstakingly added a clear gemstone to every single little circle in the image.  Here's a close-up to show all those gemstones (though the photo doesn't do it justice - the sparkle in real life is quite impressive!) and the lovely blend of splashed blues:


You have until September 24th to join us at CAS Watercolour.  Be sure to follow the theme of "tree" and keep your card clean and simple.  There's lots of inspiration from the Design Team and our wonderful Guest Designer, Ros (Mikey's Mom).





Supplies:
Stamps - Penny Black "Twinkling", PTI sentiment
Ink - Archival Jet Black; Distress Oxide Faded Jeans, Chipped Sapphire, and Weathered Wood
Paper - mixed media and white cs
Size - 4.75x6.25"
Accessories - clear gemstones, fun foam



12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness how wonderful does this look with all those clear gems!?! what a labor of love to do that Susan! Love your blue background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This definitely has that WOW factor with all the added gems, Susan! You make me want to run out and get this stamp and no doubt I'll be hunting it shortly. This if fabulous! It must have been labor intense to glue all those on but SO worth it with this effect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the sparkling clear gemstones are fabulous, Susan! I'm sure they look much prettier IRL. I love your beautiful splash watercolor background as much as the gemstones. The shades of blue and the splash effect are gorgeous! I think adding Weathered Wood sure added the depth to the colors. Great choice! Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, Susan...Stunning Gem Stone Tree and beautiful Splash Background. This has to be one of my all time favorite Christmas cards you have made over the years. Wow! TFS my friend. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tree is so pretty and sparkly, Susan. A lot of patience to place all those rhinestones! So pretty on the splashed blue background. Perfect sentiment! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful splash BG for your gorgeous sparkly tree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shades of blue and the technique on the background look fabulous.
    Wow to how you did that sparkly and stunning tree...A real eye catching card x.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! This is such an elegant tree, Susan! I love all the sparkle that makes it look so rich and beautiful against the splashed blues in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so pretty and very elegant...great idea to add sparkle to your tree.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. All that painstaking work resulted in a striking tree! It pops beautifully against your beautiful background. Amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one GORGEOUS card Susan! I love your splashed background with all the different hues of blue...a perfect snowy Winter background!! And your tree is absolutely lovely with all those sparkly clear rhinestones...truly a labor of love to adhere that many!! Beautiful, beautiful card!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. one of my favorite trees, I love all the bling you added :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.