A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 26 September 2018

Imagine a Fairy


 I made this card for the latest AAA Cards Challenge:


When I was a child, I loved all things imaginary - fairies, unicorns, animals that talked, etc. 

I used a very old stamp that I've had since I was a children's librarian (that was a long time ago!).  We used to stamp the children's reading records every time they came in to report about their reading during the summer reading club.

I dug out a scrap of a Brushos background (blue Brushos sprinkled on watercolour paper and spritzed with water).  I stamped the fairy on it and then painted over it with pearlescent watercolour paints - the blue of the Brushos blended in with the paint colours, hence the slight blue tinge to the fairy's skin!  In real life it's quite sparkly.  Here's a photo where I tried to capture that:


I added a die cut frame, cut twice and stacked for more dimension, and used a Tim Holtz word sticker for the sentiment.

Once I'd attached the panel to the card base, I decided it needed a little embellishment so took some tiny stars (silver ones and irridescent ones) and dropped some onto the card, letting them fall where they might.  I then glued them on.  This was the first time I used my new Marvy Uchida Jewel Picker - it was indispensable for picking up the tiny stars to put glue under them!

Here's one last photo showing the card in full and the placement of those stars:


Letting the stars fall on to the card at random seemed to work better than my usual agonizing over where to place embellishments one by one!





Supplies:
Stamps - All Night Media fairy
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black
Paper - watercolour paper, white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Yasutomo pearlescent watercolour paints, Impression Obsession frame die, blue Brushos, star embellisments



10 comments:

  1. So pretty and magical! The sparkle and shimmer adds to that magic. Love how you framed her. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job on this, Susan. Love the gorgeous color of your background as well as the color of your magical image. Wonderful framing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful fairy and the stars and backdrop all play together perfectly! Love the framing! An altogether delightful card, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan what a sweet image, love her shimmery wings and great frame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely card, Susan, and a lovely post tribute to your childhood and your days as a children's librarian! She's magical and the stars were a brilliant idea!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fairy is so beautiful, especially with the brushos background. I love the way you've framed the image ... and how you scattered the stars. Brilliant idea to let gravity decide where they should be. Looks awesome. I have to mention how your photographs are really showing off your creations beautifully. Great work all around, my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty card, wonderful stamped image and loving the background and the shimmer x.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card, love the fairy. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very pretty, Susan! The fairy looks so beautiful with the blue Brusho background and the framing is lovely. I love how you scattered the star sequins. The photo backdrop is perfect for this card too. Hideko

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty card! I love the soft colors. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards challenges.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.