A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 28 July 2024

Christmas Kaleidoscope

The new Group of Seven Cardmakers' technique is something that our member, Darnell, is calling Kaleidoscope Technique.  We were inspired by this card of Jenny's (My Paper Epiphany).  Here's my interpretation:


I stamped the Pink Fresh background stamp with Versamark and heat embossed in gold.  Then watercoloured the image.  It was supposed to be loose watercolouring but I'm just no good at that so ended up watercolouring in my usual traditional way of staying inside the lines!!  Then cut the panel into 1/2" wide strips and played around with rearranging them out of order and deciding what I wanted the card to look like.  I decided to have a vertical sentiment so stamped it and heat embossed it in gold.  Then I glued two strips to the left hand side of it and four to the right.  I felt the card needed a little something else so I found an "encrusted jewels" star that was the same shade of gold in my UFO box and added it.  Here's a close-up of the star:

If you want information on how I do the encrusted jewel technique, see this post on my blog.

There are lots more examples of the Kaleidosope Technique over at Group of Seven Cardmakers from the rest of our members.  If you decide to try this technique, we'd love to have you link up your card for more inspiration for everyone.








Supplies:
Stamps - Pink Fresh background stamp, Impression Obsession vertical sentiment
Ink - Versamark
Paper - watercolour paper
Size - A2
Accessories - Ranger Princess Gold embossing powder, watercolour paints, star die, glitter

8 comments:

  1. I love the stamp you used for your strip background Susan - so pretty with the green leaves and bright red berries! The vertical gold sentiment and gold star add lots of shimmer! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your inside-the-lines watercoloring and design using this technique, Susan. (I think my Christmas card turned into a right mess!) Adding the brilliant encrusted star was perfect! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the gold embossed leaves and berries over the green background and shuffled around leaving space for the vertical sentiment which looks great Susan, and Kaleidoscope Technique is a brilliant name for it. I also love that jewel encrusted gold star that you placed over the top which looks beautiful..this is a terrific technique for a fun and interesting design. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that background stamp and the watercolor is beautiful. Wow, that star really sets it off so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Kaleidoscope background and your vertical sentiment is perfect for the layout xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how your holly made this background very interesting and didn't make me at all dizzy, Susan! That encrusted jewel star is AWESOME! It needs a pin on the back to become a beautiful brooch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love your take on this technique Susan! I love the vertical sentiment and the stunning star!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is beautiful, Susan. I LOVE the background which shows off your gorgeous encrusted star. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.