A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 25 July 2024

Santa Flying over Woods and Snowy Monoprint

Our hot weather has ended and I actually have socks and a sweater on today so posting Christmas cards seems quite appropriate!

First up for My Time to Craft Christmas "Woods" (a grove of trees, a forest, etc.), I have Santa flying over a grove of evergreens.  It's also for Rudolph Days (anything Christmas) and Stamping Sensations "Christmas in July".

I brayered the background on coated cs, using a mask for the moon and two shades of blue Distress ink. I stamped the trees and sentiment while the background was in my MISTI to make sure I got a good impression and to avoid smudging. Then added a die cut Santa and sleigh, and a black border.

Next up, Jingle Belles want to see snow.

For my snowy background, I used a technique I learned from this Jennifer Maguire video.  I blended a couple of shades of blue Distress inks on a piece of white cs, then stamped the snowflake background in Versamark and heat embossed with clear embossing powder.  I spritzed it generously with a clear shimmer spray and then placed a second piece of plain white cs on top of it and ran it through my Big Shot.  The clear embossing creates a resist and only the surrounding ink transfers to the second piece of cs as the Big Shot applies pressure.  It's that second piece that I've used as my background for this card.

I allowed the lovely soft background to take centre stage on the card.  I bordered it with a blue glitter cs and die cut the sentiment out of the same glitter cs (and also out of white cs that I slightly offset to give a bit of white showing behind the blue glitter).

 
My Time To Craft Christmas!

Please grab our logo 

   

 








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Impression Obsession tree line, Make an Impression sentiment
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne, Distress Speckled Egg and Faded Jeans
Paper - coated cs, white and black c
Size - A2
Accessories - Frantic Stamper Santa's Sleigh die

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - unknown snowflake background stamp
Ink - various blue Distress inks, Versamark
Paper - white cs, blue glitter cs
Size - A2
Accessories - SSS Snowy Greetings die, clear embossing powder, clear shimmer spray


6 comments:

  1. I love your signature favorite blue designs, Susan! Santa is always a hit and the snowflake and glitter are wonderful together, especially with the offset white shadow. I've bookmarked to have a play with this JM technique later! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two fabulous blue backgrounds and the added silhouette trees and the die cut Santa and sleigh and the masked moon make a wonderful scene, and the emboss resist technique on the second with the snowflakes is so soft and pretty and looks great accompanied by the added blue glitter card matted layer and die cut sentiment to match..two brilliant cards Susan. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card. Thank for joining Stamping Sensations challenge. Anesha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color scheme of this card! Blues are the forgotten Christmas Color. Thanks for joining us at MTTCC - DT Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, not one but two incredible snowy masterpieces! I am always impressed by both your vision and skill! ♥ So pleased you could join our snowy fun at Jingle Belles this fortnight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love that snowy background ... so very glad you dashed through the snow with us at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.