A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 10 July 2024

Embossed Pine with Star and a Partially Gilded Butterfly

I made this card for the Jingle Belles challenge "Emboss-able" - embossed texture or heat embossing.  I've got both:


I made a dry embossed background with a 3D folder and also made a heat embossed star using the "encrusted jewels" technique.  I die cut the star from thin chipboard, then placed it on a warm grill on top of a layer of non-stick craft mat then parchment paper.  I sprinkled it with gold embossing powders.  Once they had melted, I added chunky gold glitter and tiny star glitter on top.  The melted embossing powders holds the glitter in place.  To finish it off, I melted UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel) on top.

I die cut the pine branch out of a piece of smooshed green background that I had in my box (and again out of scrap and glued them together).  Then glued the branch on the dry embossed panel and hung the star from it with gold cord.  Finished off with a sentiment die cut with a banner die.

For Sweet Stampin' "Things with Wings", I made this:

I stamped the butterfly in my MISTI with Frayed Burlap ink. Then applied FlitterGlu to the stamp, only getting it on parts of the stamp, and restamped it. Pressed gilding flakes onto the butterfly and rubbed off the excess. I like the way it's only partially gilded and looks a bit rustic.

Added the sentiment and a die cut pierced frame.

  Sweet Stampin' Challenge Blog







Supplies for card 1:
Ink - various green Distress inks
Paper - white cs, thin chipboard
Size - A2
Accessories - TH 3D embossing folder, IO pine branch die, Spellbinder star die, gold embossing powder, UTEE, gold glitter and tiny stars, banner die, gold cord

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Penny Black butterfly, Savvy Stamps sentiment
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black, Distress Frayed Burlap
Paper - white and dark grey cs
Size - A2
Accessories - FlitterGlu, gilding flakes, pierced rectangle frame die


8 comments:

  1. Wow, Susan, I love everything about your embossed pine and star card! Into my favorites file! Sue N

    ReplyDelete
  2. two fab cards, love the sparkle.

    Thanks for sharing with us at Sweet Stampin.

    Fi
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two gorgeous cards Susan!! LOVE the amazing star (it sparkles!!) hanging from the pine branch. So much amazing texture in for the dry embossed background and the heat embossed star. Your butterfly is so pretty with the gilding flakes. What a great way to use them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fabulous texture on both of the cards Susan, and I love the dry embossed pine branch background with the added die cut branch from which hangs that beautiful sparkly star using the UTEE and the chunky gold and star glitter, and heated under the grill. I would never have thought to try that but it has worked brilliantly. Your terrific stamped butterfly also sparkles using ink and then partially gilding it with those very pretty flakes which still looks wonderful but is less overpowering than being totally gilded...very elegant and a great thank you card. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cards! Thanks for sharing your sweet butterfly card with us at Sweet Stampin'. So perfect!! Hugs, Wends xoxo Sweet Stampin' DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. That encrusted jewel technique is so cool ... so very glad you got EMBOSS-able with us at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, wow, WOW! What an incredibly lovely card and a fabulous use of embossing... not to mention color, composition and... well this one has it ALL!!! So happy you could join our EMBOSS-able Dream at Jingle Belles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That die cut pine bough is a perfect match for the embossing and I LOVE that sparkly star! And that butterfly is SO elegant!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.