A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 15 April 2024

Colour Challenges

I don't know how you feel about colour challenges but I do very few of them - I really have to like the colours to be inspired to do them.  The new 52 Christmas Card Throwdown is a colour challenge - red, kraft, and white.  That's a combination I really happen to like so I made this card for it.

Kraft card base, die cut kraft tree (cut twice and glued together for more dimension), a white focal panel cut with a stitched rectangle die, and then lovely bits of red for the stamped sentiment and the die cut cardinals.

Then I needed a masculine birthday card and thought the Seize the Birthday challenge of green and one other colour (I chose black to keep it masculine) would work.  And I was on a roll with birds so dug out another bird die.


I smooshed a background with various green Distress inks, then stamped a bit of cross-hatched texture and the sentiment on it.  I die cut the branch and bird out of black cs, glued it on the green panel and popped it up on fun foam for more dimension.

  


I'm curious - if you leave a comment, let me know if you like colour challenges or not.

 







Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Hero Arts sentiment
Ink - SU Real Red
Paper - kraft, red, and white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Impression Obsession tree and cardinals, Lil Inker stitched rectangle die

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - A Muse sentiment, unknown cross-hatching stamp
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black, various green Distress inks
Paper - white and black cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Memory Box bird die, Sizzix branch die


8 comments:

  1. The red with the kraft and white is a great combination Susan, and I love the tree and birds placed on the white stitched mat which shows them off perfectly, and the second with the green background stamped with the cross hatchings, and the added black silhouette branch and bird makes a wonderful masculine birthday card. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card! Thanks for playing at 52 CCT challange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red and kraft are a beautiful combination and this card is that! The green background is so pretty and a perfect landing place for the black bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like color challenges, Susan, but like you, they have to appeal to me. (I'm actually upset if I see gorgeous blue/green shades and I don't have time to play.) Any kind of challenge that sparks a design is a blessing, lol! And I sure like the designs you came up with for these two color challenge cards! Of course, you know, I always love bird cards! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Red and kraft is one of my favourite colour combos, so perfect for Christmas cards. Great background on your masculine card xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course I love color challenges since I started one! LOL I adore both of your cards, Susan! The Red and Kraft is a classic card for Christmas and I love that you stuck with the bird theme and made a more masculine birthday card for Seize the Birthday! Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nailed the challenges. Cute cardinal Christmas card… a great green and black birthday card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty Christmas card. Love that you liked our colour challenge and thank you for playing with us at 52CCT. Valentina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.