A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 25 February 2024

Kraft with a Christmas Tree, a Jolly Owl, and Forget-Me-Nots

Sparkles Christmas Challenge wants to see "kraft card". And the Christmas Kickstart Challenge is "Out on a Limb" - something you find on a limb of a tree.  I have created a snowy effect on all the limbs of my tree.

In keeping with the rustic look of kraft, I wrapped a piece of burlap around my top layer of kraft (which I'd trimmed with a wonky stitched rectangle die) and topped it with a Christmas tree die cut once out of green cs and once out of white, layered so that the white shows as if it were snow on the tree branches.  I embellished the tree with a few tiny die cut stars.

Jingle Belles challenge is "Text Me" - I picked the option of having the sentiment be the star. Stamping Sensations wants "Animals, Birds, and Creatures" - I have an owl.

I stamped the owl / sentiment (they are all on one stamp), coloured everything but the crown with coloured pencils, and coloured the crown with a gold glitter gel pen. Trimmed the panel with a square hemstitch die, added it to a red card base, and embellished with three tiny red gemstones on the holly sprig.

Just to balance out the Christmas cards, here's a non-Christmas one.  Festive Friday is celebrating International Women's Day.  I made a birthday card for a close girlfriend who loves blue and flowers.  It uses three things from the challenge list - blue, white, and a bouquet.

Stamped, coloured with coloured pencils, die cut with a stitched rectangle die, and bordered with blue cs. The sentiment is on a vellum strip wrapped around the focal panel.

Please take a copy of our badge

 








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - TH sentiment
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper - kraft, green, and white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Christmas tree die, tiny star die, burlap, wonky stitched rectangle die

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Crafty Individuals
Ink - Versafine Onyx black
Paper - bristol and red cs
Size - 5.25" square
Accessories - coloured pencils, gold glitter gel pen, Spellbinders square hemstitch die, small red gemstones

Supplies for card 3:
Stamps - Memory Box sentiment, Penny Black forget-me-nots collag
Ink - Versafine Onyx black
Paper - white and blue cs, vellum
Size - A2
Accessories - coloured pencils, Lil Inker stitched rectangle die

10 comments:

  1. A great card with the Owl for Stamping Sensations, many thanks for joining in.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that kraft card with the burlap. The crown and bow tie on the owl is a cute surprise and the flowers bring Spring. You are so good coloring with pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of the layered green on white tree with the pretty added gold stars Susan, and the burlap wrapped round the kraft card is a lovely organic looking background. The owl with the gold crown is such fun and looks great added to the red card and with the coordinating red coloured sentiment, and lastly really beautiful blue flowers for this birthday card and the sentiment stamped on a vellum strip and wrapped around the stitched mat is perfect. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your cards and how you used the stitched element in all of them. And in so many different ways. Thanks for playing along in the Festive Friday Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a beautiful, magical, trio of cards but of course I'm bound to say the word art (with OWL!!!) card is my favorite, right?! So happy you could join our celebration of text at Jingle Belles! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I love scripted backgrounds paired with florals. The blue and white color scheme works beautifully. So glad you shared this with us at Festive Friday this week
    Jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of creativity on show here. Thank you for linking your pretty blue floral card up to the Festive Friday Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love a nice little accent of burlap! Great cards, Susan, and the snow effect on the tree looks great. Thanks for joining Gail and me over at Christmas Kickstart, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your card is simply gorgeous and the use of the kraft paper and natural ribbon create so much texture and interest. Thank you for playing along with my kraft paper challenge. I hope to see you in the March, 2024 Sparkles Christmas Challenge as well. Sue - DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful card using kraft card too. Love the use of the burlap too. Thanks for joining us over at Sparkles Christmas. Hugs Debs DT. Love your other cards too.x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.